Bears face off against Cornell’s Big Red on Senior Day

Amidst hopes for talented recruits in coming years, the swimming and diving teams honor seniors

Following losing performances at Columbia, the men’s swimming and diving team beat Cornell 178.50-121.50, while the women’s swimming and diving team lost to the Big Red153-147 on Senior Day.

This is the first season in which the squads have competed in the newly constructed Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatics Center.

“The energy on the team this season has been very different — (the new pool) has changed the dynamics of everything,” said co-captain Ian Slater ’13.

In the coming years, Brown’s swimming and diving teams expect to improve consistently because the new pool will attract better recruits.

“We definitely have the best pool in the Ivy League — it speaks for itself,” Slater said. “The caliber of people we are recruiting will definitely improve over the next few years.”

During the last home meet of the season, Bruno took time to honor the contributions of the four members of the men’s swimming and diving team and the five members of the women’s swimming and diving team who will graduate in 2013.

“They are a special group that has been through a lot,” said Swimming Head Coach Peter Brown. “The seniors’ dedication and leadership have kept the program strongly intact.”

On the men’s side (6-4, 2-4 Ivy League), the first individual win of the day went to Tommy Glenn ’14, who came in first place in the 200-yard freestyle, stopping the clock at one minute, 41 seconds. In the 200-medley relay, Alex Pascal ’15, Jeffrey Strausser ’15, Mike McVicker ’13 and Glenn put together a first place finish with a time of 1:31.83.

Bruno dominated the 500-yard freestyle, with Cory Mayfield ’16, Ryan Saenger ’16 and Brian Barr ’15 finishing consecutively in the top three spots. On the boards, Sazzy Gourley ’16 claimed second place in the 3-meter event with a score of 255.30. In that same event, William Holder ’15 took third place, compiling a score of 254.78. The win against Cornell (1-7, 0-7) featured three double-winners on the men’s swimming and diving team — McVicker, Glenn and Strausser each won two individual events in addition to their relay victory.

“Coming off the tough loss to Columbia last weekend, I told the team, ‘We are back in our own pool next week. Just shake this off and prepare for the next one,’” Slater said.

On the women’s side (6-2, 2-4), Kate Dillione ’15 earned Bruno the first individual win for the women’s team, placing first in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:50.30. In the 100-yard freestyle, Reia Tong ’16 claimed first place with a time of 50.92, just beating out teammate Dillione who touched the wall with 51.01 on the clock.

The 200-medley relay squad, consisting of Catherine Pittman ’14, Kristin Jackson ’13, Emma Lamothe ’14 and Tong, finished second with a time of 1:44.79, just losing out to Cornell’s squad by six hundredths of a second. In the 200-yard butterfly, Gina Matsumoto ’16 and Leigh Holmes ’14 took first and second place, respectively.

“(The first-years) have made strong contributions to our program — their good attitude and hard work have brought a lot to the table,” Brown said.

In the diving events, Rachel Speakman ’16 grabbed second place in the 1-meter event with a score of 244.50, while in the 3-meter event, Meghan Wenzel ’14 placed second and Michelle Miller ’15 finished close behind in third place. Cornell’s women squad (2-6, 1-6) ultimately beat out Bruno in a close win that was only separated by six points.

Bruno’s season continues this weekend in New Haven, where the Bears will face off against the Yale Bulldogs.