Letters to the Editor

Letter: Paxson must address labor concerns

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

In an overwhelmingly positive article reviewing Christina Paxson’s presidency thus far (“Paxson lauded for ‘bottom-up’ leadership title,” Mar. 1), Stoni Tomson ’15 was the only quoted critic of Paxson’s administration, while the other students mentioned had only praise for Paxson, even asking themselves, “WWCPD?” (What Would Christina Paxson Do?). Unfortunately, if we all decided to live by the maxim “WWCPD,” our days would include not only dog-walking and consultation with academic departments, but also a persistent refusal to engage with student groups working to ensure that our University sustains its history of social responsibility.

Tomson’s incisive comments remind the Brown community that though Brown is in violation of its own vendor code of conduct by failing to cut its contract with international human rights abuser Adidas, Paxson continues to refuse to cut Brown’s sideline agreement with Adidas. Paxson has been increasingly indifferent to Brown Student Labor Alliance’s appeals that Brown honor the rights of workers around the world. While we laud Paxson for her positive work in listening to departments and the Undergraduate Council of Students, we maintain that she has ignored students where it matters most: in regards to the University’s values of social and economic justice.

Trevor Culhane ’15 and Shelby Mack ’14 

Members of Brown Student Labor Alliance

• Jonathan

Correct me if I’m wrong, but cutting the contract is less business for those workers, who would then subsequently be out of a job and in an even worse predicament than before?

• Daniel Mpraff

The workers were fired and Adidas illegally refused to pay their severance. So, no.

• Mr Softee

“she has ignored students where it matters most: in regards to the University’s values of social and economic justice” — good to see Brown students putting social and economic justice above studying. No justice no peace!