Bears best Columbia in triple overtime

Roddy ’15 was named Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week for her role in the weekend’s victories

The Bears had a successful home opening weekend, beating Columbia 11-10 and Manhattan College 10-4. The two victories leave Bruno undefeated both overall and in conference play.

“I think our success is just a product of the hard work we put in all fall and preseason,” said co-captain Lindsay Minges ’13. “We know that we are going to have to work for everything we win this year, but it will make it that much better when we reach our goals.”

Janie Gion ’15, Danielle Mastro ’14, Abby Bunting ’15 and Grace Healy ’14 scored goals for the Bears (3-0, Ivy League 1-0) in regulation.

Goalie Kellie Roddy ’15 recorded eight saves for the Brown defense on shots by Columbia (1-2, 0-1). Erin Roos ’14 saved two ground balls in the Bear’s territory and Bunting contributed three.

The squads ended regulation tied 9-9. Co-captain Bre Hudgins ’14 tallied a goal in the first overtime, her fifth of the game, to give Brown a 10-9 lead until Columbia scored another goal to force a second overtime. The period passed without a goal from either team and forced the game to yet another overtime. After Hudgins won the draw, the Bears gave up possession two minutes into the period. Roddy blocked a Lion’s shot on goal with less than a minute remaining and the Bears worked the ball into Columbia’s territory.

“We practice a lot of high pressure situations in practice, so I was definitely confident that we would be able to win the game,” Gion said. “It was a huge team effort all the way from Roddy’s save to Lindsay’s goal, so that was awesome to see.”

Minges scored the game winning goal for the Bears against Columbia with 1.9 seconds remaining in the third overtime. Tara Rooke ’13 provided the winning assist from behind the cage, her second of the game.

“I just remember thinking how fun it was to be in overtime,” Minges said. “That’s why we play, to be able to experience those intensely competitive games.”

After getting the last word against Columbia, Minges opened up the Bears’ scoring against Manhattan with a goal at 57 seconds. Once again, the Bears’ victory was a team effort, with seven different players recording goals. Bunting, Minges and Gion each added two goals while first-years Sarah Nesi ’16 and Carolyn Westphal ’16 scored their first career goals. Roddy and Victoria Holland ’16, making her first appearance in a varsity game, tallied four saves each. Roddy was named the Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week for her strong performances against both the Lions and the Jaspers.

The women’s lacrosse team will travel to Princeton (2-1) to play the Tigers Saturday March 9, which Minges said will be an “amazing opportunity within our league.”

“Ivy games are always a battle, like we saw this past weekend,” Minges said. “I hope we win in overtime again because that’s the most fun.”

This game will be the team’s last road trip before beginning a four-game series at home, with a game against Holy Cross March 12.