Athlete of the Week: Galan ’14 devours Quakers in 9-0 Ivy win

Though the men’s baseball team (3-20, 1-7 Ivy) is off to a slow start, pitcher Anthony Galan ’14 has consistently led the squad from the mound. The right-hander held Penn scoreless last weekend, earning a complete game shutout and helping bring the team its first Ivy win of the season.

Galan had seven strikeouts in the outing, and allowed only four hits. He has posted a 4.06 earned run average this season and has started six games, the most of any Bears hurler. For his shutout performance and consistent play, Galan has been named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

Herald: You pitched a complete game shutout last weekend against Penn. What was clicking for you that game?

Galan: I felt good, and it was actually a nice day so it felt good going outside. I just had them off balance the whole day. It was pretty much in the first four innings, I got a lot of (strikeouts). I knew (Penn was) going to adjust to my off-speed stuff, so I made an adjustment back to keep them off balance.

Can you speak about what the team has been doing to improve in the Ivy League standings? What are some team goals for the remainder of the season?

We actually started off pretty rough for the first weekend and this past weekend. What we’re trying to do is just keep the energy up. We know we can pretty much compete with any team in the Ivies. The first weekend, we played against (Louisiana State University), and they’re number one in the country, and we lost on a walk off. So we know we can play against good teams, we just need to keep the energy up and stay positive.

Do you have a go-to strikeout pitch?

It depends. If there is a lefty up, I usually like to go in with lefties. Lots of lefties, especially against righties, always sit on pitches away, especially on changeups, but never on balls in.

Who on earth would you most like to strike out?

I would say Bryce Harper. Just ’cause I like to strike out guys who are very cocky.

Mike Trout or Bryce Harper: Who would you take on your team?

I’d probably take Trout, just because he’s got a shorter swing and a better two-strike approach. He doesn’t strike out a lot and he knows how to get on, and once he gets on he’s still a threat.

Has anyone ever charged the mound on you?

No, they haven’t. I’ve hit guys on purpose, but they’ve never charged the mound on me.

When did you start playing baseball?

I don’t remember — three or four maybe? It’s always been in my family, and it’s always come naturally.

If you could play for any MLB club, who would it be and why?

It would be the Mets, hands down. I’ve been a Met fan my whole life, I know New York, I know the fans. It’s just very familiar to me. It’d be like playing in a hometown.

Who is your go-to Backyard Baseball character?

It’s Pablo Sanchez. When I played in Elizabeth, N.J. it was in an all Spanish and Dominican league, and those are literally the kids I played with.