Committee prepares for 250th anniversary

The Steering Committee discussed the role of athletics and student groups in the celebration

Members of the Steering Committee for the 250th Anniversary of the University’s founding sought feedback from the Undergraduate Council of Students on how best to incorporate athletics, student groups and alums into the upcoming anniversary celebrations at the council’s general body meeting Wednesday.

In the 11 months leading up to the opening ceremonies, community feedback is critical for the committee as it transitions from hypothetical brainstorming to concrete planning, said Eve Ornstedt, executive director of the Office of the 250th Anniversary.

Abigail Braiman ’15, chair of the Academic and Administrative Affairs Committee, asked at the meeting what efforts the steering committee had made to feature athletics in the celebrations.

The night football game, which draws about 12,000 fans to Brown’s stadium, will be designated part of the 250th anniversary celebrations, Ornstedt said in response, adding that players will wear patches on their uniforms in celebration of the anniversary and fans will be able to participate in games.

The 250th planning office has also received suggestions to sponsor a road race or 250-yard dash as part of the celebrations, Ornstedt said.

Todd Harris ’14.5, UCS general body member and presidential candidate, asked how student groups could engage in the celebrations.

Student groups can submit proposals for programming on the 250th steering committee’s website, Ornstedt replied.

Harris said the committee should publicize this option so student groups are aware of it.

Maahika Srinivasan ’15, UCS Corporation liaison, asked how alums could become involved in the celebrations.

The committee will also try to engage alums through social media by inviting them to come back to campus, Ornstedt added.

“A lot of peer institutions have already had their 250th anniversaries. Are we looking at their models?” Braiman asked.

Though members of the steering committee met with coordinators of Yale’s and Princeton’s anniversary celebrations, “a lot of them celebrated a while ago, in the early 2000s. Things have changed,” Ornstedt said, citing social media’s new presence as an example.

Though the University may emulate aspects of peer institutions’ festivities, it must still make the celebrations distinctive to Brown, Ornstedt added.

The council also discussed crime prevention with Department of Public Safety officer Thomas Shelton.

Shelton stressed the importance of locking doors during Spring Weekend celebrations  and registering personal property such as laptops, cell phones and bicycles with DPS.

Though laptop thefts decreased from 34 to 22 this year, motivating students to protect their property is something DPS constantly struggles with, Shelton said.

“Do you have any tips for us going into Spring Weekend about being vigilant?” asked UCS President Anthony White ’13.

Following the explosions at the Boston Marathon, students should be wary and report suspicious unattended packages to DPS, Shelton said.

“Don’t drink so much,” Shelton said. “We know people smoke and drink. DPS does not come down on people like people think,” he said.

“Have a good time and be safe,” he added. “You have a good, long life ahead of you.”