Crew team finds body in river

The body, discovered Tuesday afternoon, will be identified sometime today at the earliest

The body of a man believed to be in his 20s or 30s was found by the men’s crew team in the water by India Point Park Tuesday evening, multiple news outlets reported. Police officers have not yet identified the body, said Detective Mark Sacco of the Providence Police Department.

The body was transported to the state medical examiner around 5:45 p.m. Tuesday, according to the Providence Journal.

Sacco said the medical examiner will use forensic evidence, including fingerprints and dental records, to identify the body. The police will not receive confirmation of the identity until Wednesday at the earliest, he said.

“We can’t rush to conclusions,” he said.

Sacco said the body “was in the water a while” before it was found, though the exact length of time has not been determined.

At the end of their afternoon rowing practice, members of the crew team saw what they thought was a log in the water as they were rowing back to the Hunter S. Marston Boathouse on the Seekonk River, said Michael Meneses ’14, who was in the boat of students who saw the body.

The body was about a kilometer from the boathouse and about 400 meters from the rowboat, Meneses said.

An assistant coach, who was following team members in a motorboat, told them to continue rowing in and stayed behind to investigate, Meneses said. Providence Police officers arrived at the scene after rowers saw the coach make a phone call from the water, he added.

This is a breaking news update. Check back for more information.