Editors' note: April 24, 2013

At a Tuesday panel about the legalization of same-sex marriage cosponsored by The Herald and the Taubman Center for Public Policy and American Institutions, several speakers espoused controversial views regarding same-sex marriage, both as a subject currently on the forefront of discussion in Rhode Island and a general issue.

The Herald is a forum committed to the free exchange of ideas. Though panelists may have expressed views unappealing to many, their voices represent perspectives that are influential in the immediate debate regarding legalizing same-sex marriage in the state and across the nation. To ignore those voices would present an incomplete picture of the discourse that is influencing events such as today’s state Senate vote on same-sex marriage.

Inviting any individual to comment, whether on a panel or in an article, is not an endorsement of that person’s views. Rather, it is an acknowledgement that the person’s opinions and constitute an influential component of the public discussion. Especially in a university community so committed to discourse, gaining perspective on all sides of an argument is essential.

Some comments made during the panel devolved into personal attacks, which runs counter to Herald standards. The Herald strives to encourage informed discourse in the Brown community, whether surrounding the issue of same-sex marriage or other topics of discussion. We invite continued input in emails to herald@browndailyherald.com, letters to the editor to letters@browndailyherald.com and comments on our website.

Editors’ notes are written by The Herald’s editors-in-chief.