Corvese '15: Make your Brown bucket list

If you approach students across campus and ask why they chose to attend Brown, you will hear a multitude of responses. Some greeted the Open Curriculum with open arms. Some came for a particular department’s esteemed reputation. Others loved Providence.

Whatever the reason for attending, Brown has a great deal to offer. Yet I fear many of my classmates do not take advantage of their surroundings. Of course, there are valid reasons for this: Classes get busy, social lives need attention and the job hunt steals many hours.

But face the facts. Most of us only have four years here at Brown. Will you have the chance to do absolutely everything there is to do here? Probably not. That does not mean that you should let all of Brown’s offerings fall to the wayside.

There’s no right or wrong way to attend Brown. But to me, the best way involves balancing school with embracing what makes Brown our home. Not every single day needs to be devoted to visiting another relic of Brunonian lore, yet making the most of one’s Brown experience should be carefully factored into the grand college plan.

Everyone needs a Brown bucket list. Whether on paper or in your mind, all Brown students should be conscious of what makes Brown so boldly Brown — opportunities that may be out of reach when we graduate and step out of the Van Wickle Gates. From legendary professors to beautiful buildings, there are countless experiences to be had.

All Brown students have different values. Some may not want to attend a protest on the Main Green, and others might find a trip to the Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology dull and boring. You may look back after four years and realize you did not do everything — and that is okay. What is most important, though, is to take advantage of as many of Brown’s distinctions as possible. Besides, without the passion to embrace Brunonia’s boldness, why come to Brown in the first place?

My advice applies to all Brown students, regardless of how long they have been here. First-years, I hope you fully embrace all of Brown’s offerings over the next few years. To those who have already spent a bit of time here, perhaps it is time to find that balance between the distinctly personal and the boldly Brown if you have not already. And seniors, please do not get too stressed out trying to rush through your Brown bucket list at the very last minute.

This suggestion comes in the age of “YOLO.” You only live once — a millennial carpe diem. Both notions ultimately suggest that you fully seize the opportunities provided to you. It certainly is a polarizing phrase, but it is one that defines the opportunistic philosophy. Brown may not be as life and death as “you only live once,” but you do only attend Brown once, so get the most out of it that you can.

It’s true that not everyone wants to seize the day. Some will probably shrug off my overbearing suggestion to take all of Brown head-on, and some simply do not have the time. Still, I ask that these hopeful suggestions do not fall on deaf ears. The carpe diem approach to Brown may seem excessively ideal, but it is one that, to me, makes for a richer and truer Brown experience.

I hear a particular phrase around campus quite often: “That’s so Brown.” We often laugh this phrase off, attributing it to our unique vernacular and opinions. It may seem like just a silly inside joke, but joke or not, it truly defines Brown’s tight-knit culture and community. Next time you hear that remark, do not roll your eyes, but take it as inspiration to continue pursuing your Brown bucket list.

So don’t wait until senior year to get your SexPowerGod tickets. During the first two weeks of classes, shop ’til you drop — metaphorically or literally, that’s up to you. And the Verney-Woolley Dining Hall may seem far for some, but where else will you find Chicken Finger Friday?

Gabriella Corvese has two years too few left at this school and can be reached at gabriella_corvese@brown.edu.