The day after, 12 years later

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Twelve years ago today, students, faculty members, administrators and staff members were reeling from the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks. Below are some of their reactions.

“We need to be enormously open to each other, and good to each other, and not traffic in stereotypes.” — University Chaplain Janet Cooper Nelson in remarks at a campus-wide silent prayer service

“There are regions of the world that we understand not.” — Former President Ruth Simmons in a speech to the community

“Yesterday was our shot heard ’round the world, our Pearl Harbor, our Kennedy assassination.” — an editorial published by The Herald

“Yesterday night, I was incredibly stressed about shopping for classes. Today those worries seem foolish. I am reminded, we are all reminded, that what really matters is our common humanity.” — Joshua Marcus ’04 in a letter to the editor

“We Brown students are taught to become active leaders and attempt to make a difference in this world. Yes, it is a time of sadness for everyone in America, but we can indeed do something to aid the suffering of thousands and make a difference by taking active roles in our lives and also showing unwavering support for our fellow man.” — Adam Greenwood ’03 in a letter to the editor