Women's soccer team wins thriller over Northeastern, fall to UCF

The team’s new offensive strategy has seen some success prior to facing new tests in league play

The women’s soccer team moved to 2-2-0 after last week’s action, continuing to split non-conference match-ups.

Brown comes from behind, wins in overtime

Bruno defeated Northeastern University (0-5-2) last Thursday night at Stevenson Field. The team fell behind 1-0 in the first half but bounced back and won six minutes into overtime, 2-1.

Chloe Cross ’15 scored the game-winning goal in the extra period. Cross led the team in points last season, but this was her first goal of the year.

“We all know that overtime has the golden goal rule,” Cross said, referring to the sudden-death nature of scoring in overtime. “When we get chances to put it away, we have to do it.”

Bianca Calderone, a back for Northeastern, scored in the 39th minute, giving the Huskies the one-goal lead at halftime.

The Bears responded with an equalizer by midfielder Erin Katz ’16 in the 79th minute, setting up Cross’s game-winner in overtime.

Head Coach Phil Pincince said he believes that his team “definitely brought the intensity level” needed to win.

“I think we learned a lot from the St. John’s game,” Pincince said. “Players understood what had to be done and stepped up to the challenge of the week.”

Bruno shot 17 times, compared to Northeastern’s nine shots. Captain Mika Siegelman ’14 said the differential resulted from Brown’s new offensive formations, which use three forwards, as opposed to the more standard two.

“We had a tough time scoring last year,” Siegelman said. “Now we have more numbers forward. Our backline and midfield has been great too, showing how you can still slow down an offense with less players.”

Goalkeepers Amber Bledsoe ’14 and Mary Catherine Barrett ’14 split time in the net, continuing a trend that has stuck throughout the season. Bledsoe was credited with two saves.

Penalty knocks Bruno down against UCF

The Bears traveled to Orlando Sunday afternoon, where they lost to the University of Central Florida (6-2-0) at the UCF Soccer and Track Stadium, with a final score of 2-0.

The two goals for the Knights both resulted from penalty kicks. Jennifer Martin scored in the 14th minute after Brown was penalized for tripping a player in the box. Tatiana Coleman was sent to the line — four minutes later, after the Bears were called for a handball — sending the penalty kick past Bledsoe.

“I’ve been here a long time, but I’ve never seen two penalty kicks called on one team in a half,” Pincince said. “That was difficult to take.”

Pincince said he was proud of “not letting UCF score from the field.” The Knights — ranked among the top 20 teams in the country last year­ — had won three in a row before defeating Bruno.

“We did well not to let up,” Siegelman said. “Your defense is doing well when you’re only allowing five shots on goal from Central Florida.” Siegelman and Cross each had two shots.

As non-conference play continues, Cross said, the key to success will be “our team’s leaders.”

“We have so many of them on the field,” Cross said. “We’ve all worked really hard, and I think that’s going to show throughout the season.”

Bruno travels Thursday to the University of Massachusetts at Amherst (2-4-1) for its next contest.