Men's soccer pulls overtime draw in Ivy opener

Taylor ’15 and Akeel ’16 notched goals for an early lead against Columbia Saturday

The men’s soccer team earned a double-overtime 2-2 draw to begin its Ivy League campaign at Columbia Saturday.

Bruno (3-4-2, 0-0-1 Ivy) notched two early goals, but the Lions (5-2-1, 0-0-1) responded quickly to level the score in regulation. The tie extends Bruno’s unbeaten streak to three games and is the third double-overtime contest the Bears have played this season.

“We wanted to get a result, and it’s tough to win on the road in the Ivy League,” said co-captain Josh Weiner ’14. “We’re not the happiest with a tie … but we were able to come out of the overtimes and not concede a goal.”

Bruno took the early lead 12 minutes in, when Daniel Taylor ’15 found the end of a free kick from Jose Salama ’14. Taylor beat his man at the near post and nodded the ball past the Columbia goalkeeper to put Brown ahead 1-0.

“We’ve been able to capitalize on the opportunities we’re creating, which is something earlier in the season we had a harder time doing,” Taylor said.

The Bears offense continued to dazzle in the opening period and found the net again just 13 minutes later. Tariq Akeel ’16 received a pass from co-captain Jack Kuntz ’14 and fired a shot into the top corner of the net to boost Bruno’s lead to 2-0.

“They had a big guy who won a lot of the first balls, but tonight it was all about winning second balls,” Taylor said. “Whoever won those was able to go forward and make something happen.”

Columbia responded quickly, using high pressure in the midfield to win the ball back from the Bears and scoring in the 29th minute when a headed shot found its way into the goal. The team’s second score of the half came only 10 minutes later when a shot from seven yards out leveled the game at 2-2 and ended a whirlwind half of scoring for both teams.

“It was a hard-fought game both ways,” Weiner said. “It was a battle, and I think these Ivy League games are much more physical than some of the younger guys have seen before, but we’re a team built for that.”

Both teams struggled to create meaningful chances in the second half, with the Lions outshooting Bruno 5-1. Weiner made three of his six saves to keep the game level and send his team into overtime.

“Overtime is a unique thing because it is golden goal, so it can be one minute long or 20 minutes long,” Weiner said. “We need to be safe at the back … and take our chances when they come to us.”

Salama and Taylor registered a shot apiece over the two extra periods, but neither team could find the game-winner and the match ended at an even 2-2.

The Bears go on to face the University of New Hampshire (6-3) Tuesday and will return home Saturday to host Ivy rival Princeton (3-5-0, 1-0-0).  “Just like any game, (UNH) is going to be a challenge,” Taylor said. “As long as we play our game and maintain this momentum of possessing the ball, hopefully things will go as planned and we’ll get another victory.”