Swimmers dominate final scrimmage

The squads look to build on last year’s seventh place finishes when the season starts Nov. 9

The men’s and women’s swimming teams together won more than half the events in the last unofficial meet before the regular season — a weekend scrimmage against Boston University and the University of Rhode Island.

The Bears won 17 of the day’s 28 events, with the women winning eight of 14 and the men winning nine. BU won the other 11 events, while no URI swimmer or team placed higher than third in any event.

The team was excited about the performance and its implications for the upcoming season, said men’s captain Brian Barr ’15.

“We had many solid performances across the board,” said Head Coach Peter Brown. Barr said it was “the most impressive meet that Brown has had in the three years that I’ve been here.”

After both teams finished seventh in the Ivy League Championships last year, Barr and Brown said they were confident both teams could improve their respective standings in the upcoming season — thanks in part to the depth of their swimmers.

“We’ve got the majority of our events covered pretty well,” Brown said. Women’s captain Kate Dillione ’15 said the new freshmen “filled the holes” on the team. The captains and coach also said the team has improved conditioning and work ethic.

“We worked really hard in preseason,” Dillione said, and Barr added that he believed the team was “much more dedicated. … No minute is wasted.” Brown said the team’s dominance at the meet was a “very good indicator of our conditioning up to now.”

As for specific aims, Barr and Dillione were on the same page. Barr said he hoped to see an improvement of “one, if not two places in the Ivy League,” while Dillione expected “to place better in the Ivy League.”

“The expectation is to be better than we were last year,” Brown said. “I’m optimistic.”

The teams open their seasons Nov. 9 at home against the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.