Athlete of the Week: McGonagill ’14 shines in Bruno win

The guard was an All-Ivy First-Teamer last year and dropped 18 points in Saturday’s win over CCSU

Sean McGonagill ’14 has already made the record books in Brown basketball history,  and he still has one season left to finish on an even higher note. The guard has racked up 1,113 career points, ranking him 19th in Brown history, and he was a preseason All-Ivy selection. Last year he was named to the First-Team All-Ivy and ranked fourth in conference scoring with 14 points per game.

Over Thanksgiving break, McGonagill scored a team-high 18 points to lead the Bears to a 72-61 win over Central Connecticut State University and improve Bruno’s record to 5-2. The team will not face any Ivy foes until mid January. As the team’s leading scorer, McGonagill is looking to guide the Bears to a conference title this season. For his impressive performance, McGonagill is named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

When did you start playing basketball?

I’ve been playing since I was really little. My dad taught me when I was around 5, so I’ve been playing my whole life.

What is your routine before a game?

Just listening to music and focusing and thinking about the opponent.

Do you have any role models?

My dad is one of my biggest role models, but I also look up to a couple of professional athletes like Tony Parker and Michael Jordan.

What are your goals for the team and yourself this season? 

As a team, we’re just going into every game just thinking we can win any game and beat every team we play. So I think it’s important to go into every game playing confident. Individually, it’s pretty much the same as the team goal, but also it’s my last year, so I’d like to win an Ivy League Championship if we can.

Do you have any post-graduation plans or do you want to continue playing basketball?

I’m going to try to play basketball after college … hopefully play in Europe if I can.

Is there anything that you wish you had known as a first year?

Just enjoy every second of college, because it goes by so fast. Everyone hears it, but I think it’s just really good advice to remember.

What is your favorite way to celebrate post-game?

Hanging out with my team and enjoying what we just did … enjoying the win.