Metro

Pell, Solomon announce campaigns for R.I. offices

Pell seeks Democratic nomination for governor as Solomon jumps into mayoral race

Clay Pell entered the gubernatorial race Tuesday morning. The third Democrat to enter the race, he plans to focus on long term economic and infrastructure development.

Clay Pell and Michael Solomon formally launched their respective gubernatorial and mayoral campaigns over the past two days.

Solomon became the sixth candidate hoping to fill Angel Taveras’ vacant seat as Providence mayor, joining a field of four fellow Democrats and one Republican. Pell is the third candidate seeking the Democratic nomination for governor. The Democratic nominee will compete against either Republican Ken Block or Cranston Mayor Allan Fung to become the 75th governor of the Ocean State.

Solomon, Providence City Council president, announced his decision to run for mayor at the nonprofit Building Futures in Olneyville Wednesday morning.

Solomon promised to “work directly with small business owners to improve the business climate in the City of Providence,” citing his experience as the owner of small businesses Wes’ Rib House and Anthony’s Drug, according to a campaign press release.

When elected president of the Providence City Council in 2011, the city faced a $110 million deficit. But by the end of the 2013 fiscal year, that deficit had become a $1.6 million surplus, according to the press release.

If elected, Solomon said, education and revitalization of the middle class would be among his top priorities. He is competing against fellow Democrats Brett Smiley, Jorge Elorza, Christopher Young and Lorne Adrian, as well as Republican candidate Daniel Harrop.

Pell launched his campaign Tuesday morning from the fifth floor rotunda of the Rhode Island Convention Center, speaking after four guests — including Pell’s grandmother, Nuala Pell, and his wife, Olympian Michelle Kwan — addressed the crowd.

Despite never serving in elected office, Pell cited his record of public service, which includes a position in the United States Coast Guard Reserve, as evidence of his credentials.

“I am determined to restore faith in our state government,” Pell said, noting he will not accept campaign funds from super Political Action Committees or state lobbyists. “My office will be accessible to all, not just the best connected and most powerful,” he added.

“You don’t need to be the loudest voice. You just need to speak for those without a voice at all,” Pell said, recalling the advice of his grandfather, Rhode Island’s longest-serving senator Claiborne Pell.

Pell cited long-term economic development as his top priority, stressing the potential growth possible from proper I-195 redevelopment. He faces Taveras and Rhode Island General Treasurer Gina Raimondo in the Democratic primary, which will be held Sept. 9.

• Daniel Harrop

In the above story, that’s Brown alumnus Daniel Harrop ’76, ’79 M.D,, ’83 Res.

• JC

RES?

• Love&fight for RI VOTE PELL

Hi Ask you do you believe in Ri What it can be and all that it is.. Then lets get family and friends and EVEYONE YOU KNOW AND letS fight for RI and go door to door around RI with shirts on THAT WILL SAY IF YOU BELIEVE IN RI THEN LETS FIGHT AND VOTE PELL!! I GREW UP IN RI CLASS OF 91 EG BRIAN AND I MOVED BACK HOME HERE AND BOUGHT A HOUSE. I HAVE 3 KIDS NOW AND I WANT TO SHARE WITH THEM WHAT RI WAS AND CAN BE AGAIN WITH CLAY PELL VOTE AND JOIN THE FIGHT FOR ME AND MY KIDS…

• Love&fight for RI VOTE PELL

Hi Please help me in the fight for are next Governor of are Great State Of RI. We have and let are Elected Offcials know That are next Governor will have to have the believes that Democrats Hold of the True Heart of the middle Class in RI is Education and the Unions That’s TEACHERS. That’s Fire Fighters. That’s Police. That’s Any and person that is in a Union. Gina Raimondo is hoping That You the VOTER that you would Forget what she did to the MIDDLE CLASS IN GINA RAMONDO Appointed Office that she held Well Sham On You GINA RAEMONDO AND WE THE VOTER WONT FORGET AT THE VOTER BOX IN that YOU Went After The Heart of RI and in The MIDDLE CLASS in Attacking The Unions. The Pension . The Teachers. The Schools Closings. The Fire Fighters. The Police. The Person That Work in a Union. We Have To Fight for are True Core democratic Believes The We Hold So Dear That RI was Built on.. So I ask you to Join The Fight In Are GREAT STATE OF RI AND VOTE FOR GLAY PELL FOR THE NEXT GOVERNOR… PLease Join and make shirts That will say IF YOU BELIEVE IN RI THEN LET’S JOIN THE FIGHT AND VOTE CLAY PELL FOR GOVERNOR OF ARE GREAT STATE . So get with your Friends and Family and Everyone You Know and go door to door and to events…… Thank You AKA Brian Daig

• Nope

Another trust-fund baby with zero relevant experience wants to lead the state with the highest unemployment in the nation. Brown will drool over him.

• Lover&fight for RI VOTE PELL

You are Wrong in when You Say Another Because Clay Pell Is Not.. Clay Pell Will Standup for the everyday man that is not the Powerful and that don’t have much money. Clay Pell Will Standup And Speak For The People That cant for Themselves.. Clay Pell Will Standup To The Special Interest Groups. Clay Pell is not the Same.. Clay Pell has the same vision and The same True Core Democratic believes as We Rhode islanders have. Clay Pell’s Grand Father was the Great Senator Pell.. Give him a chance too…Here is the thing we all ready know Gina Raemondo’s record how she is a Home wrecker in Attacking the heart of RI Middle Class The Teachers. Education and The Schools Closings. The fire Fighters. The Police and Gina Raemondo Went After There Pensions. The Person that works for a Union. Clay Pell is leading the Fight for the Every day Rhode Islander and for the Heart of The Middle Class and Clay Pell Wont Accept Any Money from The Powerful Special interest groups or lobbyist.. Clay Pell is A True Democratic not just ANOTHER..