Women's ice hockey swept by ECAC foes

Bruno loses twice on the road, but Moore’s 2,000th save provides a bright spot for the weekend

The Bears fell to Colgate 3-2 in overtime and dropped a 4-0 decision at Cornell this past weekend, staying at the bottom of the ECAC rankings and extending their winless streak to five games.

Of the 12 ECAC teams, Colgate (7-19-2, ECAC 4-12-0) is ranked 11th, followed only by Brown (2-16-5, 1-12-3). Cornell, who came into the game with only three losses this season, sits in third place in the conference. A bright spot in the sour weekend came Friday against Colgate, when Bruno goalie Aubree Moore ’14 reached 2,000 career saves — the first Brown women’s hockey player to do so since 2009.

Colgate

Facing off on Friday against the Raiders, the Bears arrived to a packed stadium for Colgate’s annual Autism Awareness game. The Raiders went up 2-0 over the Bears with a power-play goal late in the first period and another tally midway through the second. Bruno retaliated on a power play with three minutes to go in the second, when Ariana Rucker ’16 netted her fifth goal of the season, assisted by co-captain Jennifer Nedow ’14.

In the third period, Vanessa Welten ’14 struck again for Brown, tying the score at two and ultimately sending the game into overtime. Welten’s goal was her first of the season, utilizing assists from Janice Yang ’15 and Brittany Moorehead ’15. But Bruno’s comeback effort was foiled about four minutes into the five-minute, sudden-death overtime as

Colgate knocked in a goal, handing the Bears a heartbreaking loss in the final minute.

“It was nice to see our team fight back and get to overtime,” Yang said. “It was obviously disappointing to lose the two points, but we fought hard.”

Moore turned aside 27 shots in the contest, while Colgate goalie Ashlynne Rando successfully defended a meager 16 shots from the Bears, who regularly struggle to match opponents in shots taken.

Cornell

Taking the ice Saturday in Ithaca, the Bears faced a strong Big Red (16-3-4, ECAC 11-2-3) and suffered a decisive 4-0 shutout defeat. Bruno was able to hang with Cornell through the scoreless first period, with goalie Monica Elvin ’17 filling the net in place of Moore.

But the Bears failed to score on a five-minute power play after the Big Red incurred a major penalty halfway through the first.

The Bears committed a penalty to begin the second period, giving Cornell an advantage that would result in the first goal of the game and trigger a burst of momentum for the home team. Thirty seconds later, Big Red struck again, scoring their third tally with six minutes left in the stanza.

Bruno started the third period in a deep hole and had not yet attempted a shot when Cornell scored its fourth goal of the game. The score prompted the Bears to bring Moore back into goal for the last 17 minutes of competition. Moore and Elvin combined for a total of 36 saves, while Cornell’s Lauren Slebodnick, the ECAC leader in win percentage, combined with an underclassman to stop all 18 shots from Bruno.

While Cornell won decisively over the Bears, many of Brown’s losses are very close games, Yang said. Of the 16 games Bruno has lost this season, 10 have been decided by a margin of two points or fewer.

“We’re working on getting that mentality of finishing our games and really capitalizing on our opportunities,” Yang said. “The thing about our team is that we always work hard, and we’re never going to give up.”

The team will take on Rensselaer (10-15-2, 6-9-1) and Union College (8-19-1, 3-13) at home next weekend. Both teams present Brown with a chance to battle a squad near the bottom of the conference standings, and to skate to a much-needed victory.