Sports Roundup: Feb. 4, 2014

Women’s water polo

The Bears opened the season this weekend with a 2-3 record in their home pool at the Brown Invitational. After getting off to a rocky start Saturday morning with a 17-6 loss to No. 16 Indiana University, Bruno bounced back by trouncing Siena University 14-7. No. 20 Pacific University got the best of Brown in Saturday’s nightcap with a narrow 12-10 decision. The squad split two Sunday matches, falling to Marist University 14-13 and edging Wagner University 12-9.

The pedestrian 2-3 weekend was not without an upside, as the Bears proved competitive with some of the top teams in the country. Battling nationally ranked Pacific, the Bears fell just short of a stellar comeback led by Kate Woods ’14, who netted a staggering four goals in the final quarter of the contest. Bruno was dealt a heart-breaking defeat the next morning in a double-overtime thriller against Marist. Elizabeth Bolten ’16 converted two goals in the first overtime, but they were not enough as Marist answered and fired in the deciding goal in the sudden-death second overtime.

Fencing

The men’s and women’s fencing teams are no strangers to undefeated tournaments. For the fourth time in five weekends, the squads slashed competition on their way to perfect records — this time at the Eric Sollee Invitational. The dominance exceeded mere wins as both lineups beat their opponents by large margins. The women allowed only one of five competitors to reach double digits while the men’s 15-12 decision against New York University was a closely contested match. Simon Jones ’16 and Kathryn Hawrot ’14 were the top performers overall for the Bears, posting records of 13-2 and 11-1, respectively.

Skiing

The women’s skiing team continued its undefeated season with wins in the slalom and giant slalom this weekend at the St. Anselm Carnival. The field was no match for the squad as Bears posted the top four individual times in slalom — with Amanda Engelhardt ’15 taking first place — as well as three of the top four times in giant slalom, paced by the event’s champion, Natalie Pearl ’17.