February 6, 1942

Hal Kopp, assistant football coach, was forced to resign after being ordered by the War Department to take a first lieutenant’s commission in the United States Army. During his brief one-year coaching career, Kopp led Brown sports teams to eight victories, one tie and two losses. “Kopp has made an outstanding record in his first year at Brown,” said Tom Taylor, director of athletics, The Herald reported at the time. The athletes who trained under Kopp recalled his discipline and drive, calling his work an important contribution to the future development of the University’s sports teams. Kopp was scheduled to report to a southern military base Feb. 15 before being assigned to permanent duty.

February 6, 1967

WBRU announced it would return to the air in late February for the first time since mid-December, when it was forced to discontinue broadcasting due to a faulty transmitter. Though the transmitter had been malfunctioning since September, the frequency of breakdowns made broadcasting impractical in December. The radio station planned to feature nine hours of rock ’n’ roll per day once it resumed operation. Despite the inconvenience of the faulty transmitter, the sign-off gave WBRU an opportunity to remodel one of its studios, The Herald reported at the time.

February 6, 1992

Mary Poovey, an English professor from Johns Hopkins University, delivered a lecture entitled “Feminism and Post-modernism: Another View.” Poovey’s lecture explored feminism in the context of the post-modern world. “Feminists need to re-conceptualize sex and gender — to see (them) as dynamics and not as the fundamental basis of the humanist subject,” she said, reported The Herald at the time. Poovey called for “flexible feminism” to replace traditional feminism, urging those present at the lecture to avoid focusing on abortion as the primary feminist concern. “Keeping abortion at the center of feminist arguments reduces feminism to one issue,” she said.