Athlete of the Week: Strachan ’15 catches three touchdowns in double OT win

Wide receiver tops career bests in yards, catches and touchdowns during his senior season

The football team has struggled to score this season, but wide receiver Brian Strachan ’15 had no trouble finding the end zone Saturday against the College of the Holy Cross. The senior caught eight passes for 98 yards and three touchdowns, all career highs, leading Bruno to a 27-24 double overtime victory over the Crusaders. Perhaps his finest moment on a day full of them came on a trick play, when quarterback Marcus Fuller ’15 pitched to running back Andrew Coke ’16, who in turn gave the ball to wide receiver Troy Doles ’15 on a double reverse. Doles threw to the end zone, where Strachan made a spectacular diving catch on the sideline. For his efforts in Bruno’s second victory of the year, Strachan has been named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week.

Herald: When did you start playing football?

Strachan: Ever since I can remember … Right when you could, I started. I always had a football in my hands when I was growing up.

Why did you choose to come to Brown?

My dad and (Coach Phil Estes) played in college together, and the opportunity to go to an Ivy League school was hard to turn down.

You set career highs in yards and touchdowns against Holy Cross. What allowed you to be so successful?

A lot of it comes down to being in the position to make those plays, and I felt like last week I was given those opportunities, so I capitalized on them.

What did you see on the trick play where you caught the pass from Troy Doles?

I saw him going more outside, and then I was like “oh, alright, here we go,” and so I ran towards the sideline and the ball was there. At first I thought he was just going to throw it up the seam towards the back of the end zone, and then he kept running outside so I knew he was probably going to lead me towards the sideline.

Last year was really your first season seeing regular playing time, and you’ve played an even bigger role this year, averaging nearly 15 more yards per game. How has your experience from last season helped you this year?

I think it’s helped me a lot. Last year I was playing probably the same amount of snaps every game, but I was really learning a lot from the upperclassmen ­— what to see in defenses and how to prepare physically. So I think this year, I’m not thinking out there at all. I think just having the experience under them and learning from them has allowed me be more confident than ever this year.

As a senior, are you getting nostalgic about your time at Brown?

Not really, because I have the ability to come back for another year if I want to. I did redshirt my freshman year, so I’m really just focused on this year. But no, I haven’t really thought about being a senior. I’m just focused on the season and the next six games that we have.

Any plans for next year yet?

I have an investment banking job that I will go to either next year or the year after, it just depends if I come back for my fifth year.