Shutout loss drops women's soccer to seventh

After losing to Penn, seniors hope for victory against Yale at final game of season Friday

The women’s soccer team traveled to Philadelphia this past weekend to take on Penn in an Ivy contest that finished in a 2-0 defeat for Bruno.

The Quakers (7-5-3, 2-3-1 Ivy) started off strong with a goal from Clara Midgley in the fourth minute. With a strong defensive performance, Penn successfully held the Bears (6-7-3, 1-3-2) to just one goal attempt during the first half of play. With just over five minutes left in the first half, Penn tallied on another goal from Kaitlyn Moore off helpers from Anna Estep and Olivia Blaber. Entering the second half, Bruno trailed in total shots 6-1 and was looking to gain ground against the Quakers.

The Bears came out stronger on both sides of the pitch in the second half — putting up seven total shots during the period while containing Penn to just three. But this surge in play was to no avail, as the team was unable to find the scoreboard. Captain Chloe Cross ’15 and Allie Reilly ’15 put up shots during the second half, but they were unable to capitalize with a goal.

“We changed some things tactically going into the second half and came out with more energy,” Cross said.

The Quakers maintained their two-goal advantage for the rest of the match and took home the victory.

“We were fighting hard for that comeback but just couldn’t seem to find the back of the net,” said Kirsten Belinsky ’15.

Next up, the Bears look to finish their season on a high note Friday night at Stevenson Field against Yale (7-4-4, 1-1-4) at 7 p.m.

“It’s exciting finishing my collegiate career at home and will feel more satisfying than if we were to end with an away game,” Belinsky said. “Ending with a win would mean a lot to us seniors and the rest of the team, too, especially since it is a home game.”

The team will be celebrating Senior Night Friday. The game against Yale will be the final game for seven seniors on the roster who will be graduating this spring.

“It has been quite a journey. Ending my career at Brown will definitely be bittersweet,” Cross said. “On the one hand, I will miss the collegiate game and playing with my amazing teammates. On the other, I feel as though I have learned a lot from playing Brown Soccer and am better prepared to move forward in life after graduation.”