Firn '16: Reinflating my pride in the Patriots

For as long as Bill Belichick has been wearing a headset, the New England Patriots have been synonymous with success. There’s a lot for the 21st century Boston sports fan to be proud of, but atop the list is the mindboggling consistency of our football team. Storms come and go, the big fish eat the little fish and the Patriots keep on paddling.

But in the wake of clinching yet another Super Bowl berth, reports of illegally deflated footballs threaten to tarnish the identity of the franchise. Unsurprisingly, statements from both the Patriots and the NFL have been cryptic and terse. For the most part, Patriots fans are standing our ground. But even as we publicly defend our beloved team, we’re privately waiting for mitigating details with bated breath. Is there real reason to doubt the Patriots’ dominance? Worse, have I sacrificed countless hours and my emotional stability in the name of blatant cheaters? I got over Spygate, but two incidents establish a troubling pattern and a suspicious culture.

Like most Pats fans, I dismissed this story when it first broke, chalked it up to sore losers deferring blame. Nothing was going to dampen my excitement for an epic upcoming Super Bowl matchup. I rolled my eyes. I wouldn’t take the bait.

But then murky rumors became embarrassing facts — 11 of 12 Patriots balls substantially below the legal pressure requirement. A couple minor deflations could be a mistake, but 11 imply intent. Someone in the Patriots’ organization willfully altered footballs to create an advantage in the cold weather. But before I’m obligated to admit to feeling betrayed and distraught, is this a big deal?

The answer is complicated. First, let’s discredit the absurd notion that squishy footballs are what beat the Colts last weekend. Colts tight end Dwayne Allen wouldn’t bite: “(It’s) not a story. They could have played with soap for balls and beat us. Simply the better team.” What’s more, tampering with equipment is a fairly common infraction, akin to a pitcher applying pine tar to a baseball. Aaron Rodgers confessed to overinflating. Brad Johnson paid to have Super Bowl footballs scuffed in 2002. The Vikings were caught heating balls on the sidelines earlier this year. Definitely shady, probably ubiquitous and not really a huge deal.

But because we’re talking about the Patriots, it’s kind of a big deal. Belichick has a history of exploiting any advantage he can, legal or otherwise. The Patriots have always been known for pushing limits, but their ingenuity and success typically overshadowed their underhandedness. This latest incident could be the final straw that flips the label to cheaters first and winners second. In the eyes of the NFL Nation, New England’s legacy may crumble.

More than anything, it’s this perception that has me backed into a corner. Yes, I’m embarrassed that Belichick may think he’s bigger than the game. No matter how prevalent or unimpactful, any attempt to skirt the rules leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But the reality is that my Patriots pride is not diminished. Such is the nature of fandom — this is my team, and I will defend it tooth and nail. There’s nothing like controversy to band together a team.

But even if the Patriots smoke the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, the victory will be considered stained by many. To their delight, critics can latch onto something other than the sheer brilliance of the franchise. The real tragedy here is that New England’s incredible track record, the product of tactical genius and hard work, is now being treated as if propped up by minor infractions. Even as we march to the Super Bowl, Patriots fans are forced to defend our pride instead of beaming it. If this is the golden age of Patriots football — and it almost certainly is — I want to remember the dominance, not the scandals.

Of course, there are still plenty of unanswered questions. How could the referees not notice? Is this an isolated incident? Most importantly, who gave the order? Belichick insisted, “in my entire coaching career, [I’ve] never talked to any player or staff member about football air pressure.” Tom Brady also claimed complete innocence. When a similar case was scrutinized at the University of Southern California in 2012, a student manager was found solely responsible. The Patriots can’t be blamed for wrongdoing if the guillotine falls on a ball boy. But cries of unfair advantages will persist, and the mastermind Patriots will be denied the credit they largely deserve.

Over the next few weeks, details will emerge from the NFL’s ongoing investigation, but the narrative likely won’t change. Just like with Spygate, fans will make of it what they will. Haters will chant “Beli-cheat” and discount the Patriots dynasty. Fans will embrace the “Evil Empire” identity and dismiss the accusations as overblown and whiny.

But for now, we wait. The cycle of emotions produced by this incident has taken me from dismissal to defensiveness to shame before settling firmly on defiance. Cheating is not to be taken lightly. If intent is established, those responsible should be punished. But the only reasons Deflategate is a bigger media frenzy than the Vikings episode is that the Pats won’t stop winning and Belichick won’t ever smile. You can hate the Patriots for their shiftiness, but you can’t deny their genius. I’m disconcerted by my team’s behavior, but I’m not apologizing for the wins. Holier-than-thous won’t destroy my excitement for the Super Bowl. They won’t strip me of my fandom. Most of all, they won’t make your team any better.

Mike Firn ’16 wants the Patriots to deflate the Seahawks’ hopes and dreams. Contact him at michael_firn@brown.edu.