Getting iced

The men’s ice hockey team swept the ice last weekend  with wins over RPI and Union. The win over 10th-place Union was especially impressive considering the Bears’ 7-1 loss against the defending national champions earlier in the season. Mark Naclerio ’16 attributed the team’s gaining momentum to newfound confidence, saying “When we play smart and make sure we are doing the little things right, we find that we are rewarded.” Now on a three-game winning streak, the team has tripled its conference point total in the last two weeks after winning only one of its first 15 ECAC contests. Sounds like some Brown students may finally watch their first hockey game this weekend.

Historic restoration

Down the hill, Rhode Island received a $25,000 grant to research black history in the College Hill Historic District. With the money, the Rhode Island Historical Preservation and Heritage Commission has been working with the Rhode Island Black Heritage Society to revise the description of the property listed under the National Register of Historic Places. According to Ray Rickman, RIBHS senior advisor and former state representative, the previous document granting College Hill status as a historic district included “literally one line about African-Americans in the whole document.” The line consisted of the incorrect generalization that the entire African-American community was poor.

A modern-day fairy tale

For Brown students who have already dumped their Valentines, Tinder can provide a welcome solution. While some use the app for casual, low maintenance social interactions, quite a few have developed more serious relationships, and many have noted that Tinder is somewhat irrelevant to Brown’s hookup culture. In fact, the results of some Tinder matches might be more in line with what our parents have been pushing us toward: actual dates. And for the thousands of confused Brown students who don’t know what a date is, they’re sort of like pre-games without the alcohol.

Fifty shades of eh

Meanwhile, if you’re looking for a place to go with your new Tinder match, look much further than “Fifty Shades of Grey” according to a Herald review. The movie, starring Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan, was adopted from E.L. James’ erotic novel of the same name. The book, originally written as “Twilight” fan fiction, was criticized by many in the BDSM community for the conflation of BDSM and abuse in the characters’ glamorized relationship.

Kissing co-workers

But for those still searching for a better love story than “Twilight,” Brown professors might provide the ticket. Though married professors are common in academic communities, the scarcity of multiple positions at the same institution can pose various challenges to committed relationships. Still, the close-quarters partnership has perks, as couples have opportunities to eat lunch together and even serve as guest speakers in each other’s classes. Pamela Foa, a senior fellow in gender studies, who is married to Paul Guyer, professor of philosophy and humanities, noted, “Marrying an academic is a pretty good deal.” Maybe that’s the reason we’re always so attracted to our TAs.