Brandishing weapon, man assaults student

Incident remains under investigation by the Providence Police Department

Monday, March 2, 2015

An unknown male opened the drivers’ door of a student’s car and displayed a firearm at about 9:40 p.m. March 1, according to a crime alert sent by the Department of Public Safety. The victim drove away unharmed, the email reported.

The student was parked on Angell Street between Thayer Street and Brown Street. The suspect was described as a white man between the ages of 20 and 25 wearing a black knit hat.

Paul Shanley, deputy chief of DPS, could not be reached before press time. The incident is under investigation by the Providence Police Department, according to the crime alert.

Topics: ,
  • Russell Carey

A community wide email will be sent out this afternoon but just wanted to let you all know that in light of this assault, we have deemed Brown University responsible for “creating an environment that facilitates assault” and as such the university’s operations have been suspended for 4 years at which point we will petition for reinstatement.

• 2nd Amendment Advocate

This is why we should authorize concealed carry on campus, especially for students who live off campus. This students’ life could have easily been endangered. It is a growing trend on college campuses to allow students this right but I know the ineffective, liberal administration at Brown will not allow this.

• Private School

Nothing says safety like drunk kids with guns!