Editors' Note: Welcome to Brown

Dear class of 2019 and new transfer students,

Welcome to Brown! We hope you’ve enjoyed getting to know College Hill so far.

We also hope you engage with the Brown community and remain informed about campus issues during your time here, and we strive to help you do that. Our mission is to inform and entertain the Brown community by producing relevant and engaging content across a variety of platforms.

We took a break from print publication over the summer, and this marks our first issue back. We print every weekday when classes are in session, covering campus and local news, arts and culture, science and research, sports and more. You can read us online anytime at browndailyherald.com. Readers can expect a couple of exciting changes this semester. A revamped sports section will bring you closer to the experience of student-athletes as we pursue more in-depth features about the nuances of Brown athletics and the delicate balance between the competing demands of academics and athletics. We’re also looking forward to introducing a new photo essay blog, The Foreground, later this month to showcase the work of our talented photojournalists in a new format.

For a more informal take on relevant news and goings-on, you can head to BlogDailyHerald, our 24/7 blog, at blogdailyherald.com. Starting next Thursday, you can also read Post-, our weekly insert offering commentary on pop culture, food and sex.

The Herald’s office is located at 195 Angell St. We’d love to have you join our journalism staff in any number of roles, including writing, photography, videography, design, graphics, illustrations, copy editing and social media. And we have more than just journalism opportunities to offer. As an organization independent from the University not only editorially but also financially, The Herald is the largest student-run business at Brown, and we have an entire team dedicated to our business operations. We also have a growing web team that focuses on building and improving our websites, which have hundreds of thousands of visitors per semester. Attend an open house to learn more about getting involved. Journalism open houses will take place Friday, Sept. 11 at 6 p.m. and Sunday, Sept. 13 at 3 p.m. Business open houses will occur Friday, Sept. 11 at 5 p.m. and Sunday, Sept. 13 at 2 p.m. Our web open house will be scheduled later; please email 125@browndailyherald.com if you’re interested in joining the web team.

We wish you the best of luck at Brown. We can’t wait to put your name in print.

Editors’ notes are written by the 125th Editorial Board: Michael Dubin ’16, Maxine Joselow ’16, Kiki Barnes ’16, Jillian Lanney ’16, Isobel Heck ’16 and Molly Schulson ’16.