Quote of the week: "They had me fill out a goal form about what I wanted. I think I said I wanted to keep my house."

- Mandy, a single mother from Providence, in "Tink Knit aids low-income single parents."

THE COSBY SHOW ISN'T SO FUNNY ANYMORE:

Brown made nationwide news this week by revoking Bill Cosby’s honorary degree. Cosby, who has been accused of sexual assault by 35 women, received the honorary degree 30 years ago. President Paxson informed the Brown community of the decision in an email, writing, “It has become clear, by his own admission in legal depositions that became public this summer, that Mr. Cosby has engaged in conduct with women that is contrary to the values of Brown and the qualities for which he was honored by the University in 1985.” According to available records, the decision marks the second time in history that Brown has revoked an honorary degree.

PAY DAY:

Obama’s College Scorecard is out, and Brown didn’t fare quite as well as some others in the Ivy League. While Harvard alums topped the list of Ivy Leaguers taking their diplomas to the bank — a Harvard alum who was on federal financial aid earned a median salary of $87,200 10 years after matriculating — Brown rounds out the list in dead last with a median salary of $59,700. Brown alums’ lower median salary might have to do with the significantly higher percentage of Brown alums who go into nonprofit work. In addition, the University also has the lowest gender earnings gap, with female Brown alums making on average $20,00 less than their male counterparts. When compared to Harvard’s $54,600 wage gap, Brown seems slightly less bad. At least we beat Harvard at something this week.

Artists Gregory Pennisten and Nick Guilbert spray painted 29 Manning Walk as part of the “Urban Studies Paint-Out” Friday. The event commemorated the urban studies department's former home, which is slated for demolition to make way for a the new engineering building.

SOMEONE HIRE US:

While some Brown grads flock to the nonprofit sphere, others have utilized the CareerLAB and the Department of Computer Science’s Industry Partners Program to head to the tech and finance worlds. Based on a survey of LinkedIn accounts, Google, Microsoft and Goldman Sachs topped the list of companies where the most Brown alums are employed. Matt Donato, CareerLAB director, said the list of top companies employing Brown students “speaks well to the intelligence and competitiveness of our students on the job market.” Why thank you, Donato, but we also think it has to do with our dazzling good looks and sparkling personalities.

THIS LECTURE IS BANANAS (B-A-N-A-N-A-S):

Brown Lecture Board announced that Jane Goodall will speak at Brown Oct. 19. Goodall is a world-renowned English primatologist who spent 55 years in Tanzania studying chimpanzees. While in Tanzania, she found that chimpanzees make and use tools and that they kill and eat meat, completely upturning conventional beliefs. Since then, she has founded the Jane Goodall Institute as well as the Roots and Shoots program. Here’s to hoping that she brings a baby chimp to Salomon 101.

A FEW BLOCKS FROM BLOCK ISLAND:

Meanwhile, outside of the Brown bubble and three miles off the coast of Block Island, Deep Water Wind is constructing the first offshore wind farm in the United States. The wind farm could decrease energy costs on Block Island by as much as 40 percent and reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 40,000 tons each year. But the farm has faced opposition from residents who say the project has not been organized properly, with one even calling it “a Wall Street financial creation that intends to make a fortune at our expense.” The turbines are slated to begin producing electricity by fall 2016. We just hope the wind doesn’t ruin our ’dos.