Quote of the week: "Allyship is not a label. It's not an identity. It's something that you have to continue working on." - Nikkie Ubinas '18, in "MPC Workshop challenges systemic sexism"

THESE KIDS HAVE IT SO EASY:

Starting in fall 2016, applicants to Brown will no longer be required to submit the essay portion of the SAT or ACT. Not requiring students to take the essay will lower the price of the standardized tests, with the price of the SAT with and without the essay listed as $54.50 and $43, respectively. According to Steven Goodman, an education consultant and admission strategist at Top Colleges, the change “is like the strange uncle or aunt who comes into town for Thanksgiving and then moves away … and then all of a sudden we don’t have to deal with them any more. Good riddance.” We would have to give his extremely nuanced metaphor an 800.

FORMER STUDENT SUES:

A former student in the class of 2017 is suing Brown for gender-based discrimination and violation of due process in a sexual misconduct hearing. The man, referred to as John Doe in court documents, was suspended in November 2014 for two-and-a-half years after being found responsible for non-consensual sexual misconduct, sexual misconduct involving penetration, violent physical force or injury, and illegal possession or use of alcohol. John Doe is represented by litigator Andrew Miltenberg, who is also representing a man referred to as John Doe in a case against a female student whom John alleges falsely accused him of rape. Though Miltenberg declined to confirm the two John Does are the same student, the details of the two cases are almost identical, with the case against the female student describing a sexual assault  at an “elite” university in Providence. John Doe alleges that the physical relations between him and the female student, referred to as Jane Doe, were consensual and that she claimed they were non-consensual because he ignored her at a party. Shortly after his accuser reported the incident to the University, John Doe was removed from campus. John Doe expressed concern that he faced gender discrimination during Brown’s disciplinary process.

late-game-heroics-lifts-football-over-princeton.jpg

The football team’s nail-biting 38-31 win over Princeton last Saturday represented two of the team’s most impressive elements: Alex Jette '17 and the defensive line.

ALL WE DO IS WIN, WIN, WIN:

The only thing more exciting than the giant meatball you got with your parents on Federal Hill during Family Weekend was Brown football’s action-packed 38-31 win over Princeton Saturday. Though the team’s lineup was riddled with injuries, the Bears trudged on with the help of the defensive line and electric All-Ivy kick returner Alex Jette ’17. The high-pressure game marked Bruno’s third consecutive win and first win in the Ivy League this season. Maybe we should start going to some football games — anybody know where the field is?

THE LAST LAP:

The City Sports era on Thayer is coming to a close as the chain files for bankruptcy. The Thayer Street location is one of eight stores closing, and there are no plans to open another in Rhode Island. City Sports will be the fifth empty storefront on the main stretch of Thayer. Though we will always remember City Sports fondly for its water bottles and bike locks, at least now we have an excuse not to exercise.

BUT WE'RE 21 AT HEART:

Precocious freshmen beware — undercover policemen have been spotted outside of three College Hill liquor stores: Spiritus, Madeira’s and Darwin’s. One underage student, who was stopped by the Pro Po in September, was required to pay a fine and go to court. While the manager of Spiritus and the owner of Darwin’s are keeping fakes at bay with ID scanners, the manager of Madeira has declined to purchase a scanner, citing its expensive price and lack of accuracy. Sorry 20-year-olds: Looks like you’ll have to wait another few months.