Sports Roundup: Nov. 2, 2015

Volleyball

The 2015 season has provided a testament to the dominance of the volleyball team at the net. The Bears (10-12, 4-6 Ivy) boast a .211 team hitting percentage — the second highest in the Ivy League —  and two of the conference’s deadliest players at the net in Sabrina Stillwell ’19 and Payton Smith ’17.

But this weekend saw a departure from Bruno’s typical performance in the match against Columbia. The squad recorded a .043 hitting percentage, and the Lions ultimately swept the match. The following night, the Bears alternated games with Cornell but fell to the Big Red in a 3-2 decision.

Equestrian

The equestrian team remained the top seed of the IHSA Zone 1 Region 1 rankings after winning the UMass Dartmouth IHSA Show Saturday. 

Junior captain Kabisa Baughen ’17 was a team standout, winning open fences and open flat and earning high point rider for the show. In their show debuts, Genoveva Eguiguren ’18 and Natalia Moriel ’18 took fourth and fifth place, respectively, in the walk-trot division.

Bruno will look to continue its dominance at the University of Rhode Island IHSA Show Saturday.

Cross country

The men’s and women’s cross country teams competed at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships in New York City Friday.

Three top-20 finishes propelled the women’s team to fourth place. Natalie Schudrowitz ’18 completed the six-kilometer course in just under 22 minutes and placed 12th overall. Schudrowitz’s performance Friday was a worthy culmination of her strong sophomore campaign, for which she received Second Team All-Ivy honors. Taylor Worthy ’17 and Carleen Jeffers ’19 also completed the race within the top 20 with 16th- and 17th-place finishes, respectively.

Plagued by illnesses and injuries throughout its roster, the men’s team did not fare as well as the women’s team. Bruno managed an eighth-place finish with 230 points at the Ivy League Championship. Eli Moskowitz ’19 led the way for the Bears, finishing the five-mile course in just under 26 minutes to secure 39th place.

Men’s water polo

After mixed results at the Santa Clara Bronco Invitational last weekend, the No. 12 Bears (21-6, 12-0 CWPA) returned to Providence to face off against conference rivals St. Francis Brooklyn and Fordham in the team’s last games of the regular season.

Bruno beat St. Francis Brooklyn, 14-12, and Fordham, 11-6, to finish its regular season undefeated. The team will host the CWPA Northern Division Championship next weekend.

Women’s crew

All four of the women’s crew team’s entries fared well at the Princeton 3-Mile Chase Sunday morning. The varsity open eight finished second, just over half a second behind Virginia in the final race of the fall season.

The Cavaliers proved to be Bruno’s stiffest competition of the race. The Bears edged the third-place Yale boat by a margin of 12.105 seconds and the fourth-place Princeton boat by 22.706 seconds.

In the 59-boat race, the Bears’ B, C and D entries finished in sixth, 22nd and 39th, respectively. The B boat even outlasted several schools’ A boats, including those of Cornell, Radcliffe College, Penn and Dartmouth.