Video released of Princeton professor’s arrest

The Princeton, NJ Police Department released a video Feb. 11 showing the arrest of a black Princeton professor, Imani Perry, for speeding and having several unpaid parking tickets on her record, according to the New York Times.

Perry described her arrest on social media, saying she was humiliated and the encounter is representative of how police officers treat black Americans. “The fact of my blackness is not incidental to this matter,” she wrote on her Facebook page.

Her post sparked a social media discussion in which some online users argued that she deserved the arrest while others offered words of encouragement.

Responses to the redesigned SAT

The new format of the SAT, to be implemented next month, has many worried it will disadvantage students who speak English as a second language or are inexperienced with longer readings, according to the Times.

The main changes to the SAT include eliminating the guessing penalty, combining the reading and writing sections and making the essay optional.

This marks the College Board’s most extensive redesign of the test in over 10 years. In the coming months, many students will choose  between taking the unchanged ACT and the unfamiliar SAT.

University of California at Berkeley deficit

After a long-running disagreement in California over the funding of public universities, Nicholas Dirks, chancellor of UC Berkeley, announced last week that the university’s deficit could create long-term instability and threaten the university’s reputation as a prestigious public institution, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The political dispute centers on the appropriate in-state tuition and ensuring out-of-state and international enrollment do not negatively affect California residents.

In the meantime, the university is planning to address the $150 million deficit with  a committee that will look into decreasing the size of the staff — specifically the administration — and creating more online courses, Dirks also announced.

Washington and Lee University Mock Convention

The Washington and Lee University Mock Convention, an event hosted during each presidential election cycle, predicted Donald Trump would win the Republican nomination. In the mock primary process, Trump received 1,320 delegates, Ted Cruz secured 652 and Marco Rubio came in third at 399, USA Today reported.

This conclusion stemmed from two years of research by 150 students who consulted journalists, academics and party officials, the New York Times reported.

The university’s mock convention has accurately predicted 19 of 25 chosen nominees in one party or the other since 1908.