Sports Roundup: March 21, 2016

Wrestling

After winning a match in round one of the wrestle-back bracket at the NCAA Championships Thursday, Justin Staudenmayer’s ’17 season ended with a 4-3 decision Friday. The junior had had an excellent campaign leading up to the championships but lost his first match against Michigan’s Brian Murphy — the 12th-ranked wrestler in the weight class — before winning against and then losing to Bryce Steiert of Northern Iowa.

In the 149-lb. division, Steven Galiardo ’17 was the only other Bear at the NCAA Championships, but he was unable to make it to Friday after dropping two decisions. No. 14 Mitch Finesilver of Duke beat Galiardo handily before Davion Jeffries of Oklahoma finished the junior’s season.

Women’s Tennis

No. 68 Brown fell in a close decision against No. 71 Old Dominion Sunday, a matchup that started impressively for the Bears (11-5). Of the two completed doubles matches, Brown won both by scores of 6-1 and 6-2.

But Bruno was beaten in the singles matchups as Alyza Benotto ’18 was the lone victor for Brown. She won in straight sets over her opponent, while two other Bears took their opponents to three sets before eventually falling. The loss ended Brown’s two-game winning streak.

Gymnastics

The Bears put another notch in their belt Saturday after finishing second at the ECAC Championships, two weeks after tying Cornell for the Ivy League title. This time, Cornell took down the Bears by a margin of less than half a point, leaving Bruno in a tie for second with William and Mary.

The team earned 12 All-ECAC awards, led by Jorden Mitchell’s ’17 first-team honors on the all-around, floor and beam to go along with a second-team spot for vault. The Bears scored season highs on floor, beam, vault and bars, but Mitchell’s fourth-place finish and Caroline Morant’s ’17 sixth-place finish on the all-around were not enough to lead Brown to a championship.

Women’s Golf

In their first competition of the spring season, the Bears notched 622 points at the Low Country Intercollegiate this weekend, good enough for a sixth-place finish in the 17-team field. After being three shots back, Sasha Banks ’19 rallied to record the only sub-par round of the contest and ultimately win the individual championship. Another standout was Rosanna Lederhausen ’17, who notched 153 points to finish with the ninth-highest point total on two rounds. Lauren Flynn ’16 and defending Ivy champion Christine Kim ’18 both finished with 163 points.