Campbell named next dean of grad school

Associate professor of medical science to oversee grad school financial planning, admission

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Andrew Campbell, associate professor of medical science, has been appointed as the next dean of the Graduate School, wrote Provost Richard Locke P’17 in a community-wide email Monday. Campbell will begin his term July 1, succeeding current Dean of the Graduate School Peter Weber.

“I chose to accept the position of dean of the Graduate School because I truly enjoy working with graduate students,” Campbell wrote in an email to The Herald. “This position will allow me to work with graduate students in all disciplines and to support their scholarly works. Getting a graduate degree is a choice that I made for myself, and I want to support those who are making that choice.”

In his role as dean, Campbell will have “primary responsibility for all aspects of the Graduate School,” Locke wrote. The Graduate School currently has more than 2,000 students pursuing both master’s and doctoral degrees across “41 different departments, centers and institutes,” he wrote.

Weber was appointed dean of the Graduate School in 2010, Locke wrote in a Jan. 13 email announcing the end of Weber’s term.

While dean, Weber oversaw a 17 percent growth in the graduate school population, advocated increases in doctoral financial aid, implemented the Presidential Fellows Program and “created a mechanism for advancing student funding in the humanities and social sciences,” among other initiatives, Locke added in the same email.

Campbell will be responsible for developing and implementing a “strategic agenda for the Graduate School,” Locke wrote.

“Crafting a good strategic agenda involves engaging everyone with a stake in the work,” Campbell wrote. “For me it’s going to be important to engage the graduate student community to hear their concerns and reach consensus before finalizing any agenda.”

As part of this, Campbell emphasized that a graduate school must prepare its students for careers and lives both in and outside of academia.

Campbell will also “provide financial oversight and planning, oversee graduate student admission and funding and lead and manage the Graduate School staff,” Locke wrote.

Campbell came to the University as an assistant professor in 1994 and, in the 20 years since, has served as director of the pathobiology program and Marine Biological Laboratory graduate program, according to a University press release.

Before coming to Brown, Campbell earned his PhD from the University of California at Los Angeles and his Bachelor of Science from York College, according to his webpage.

Campbell “is currently principal investigator of three training-related federal (National Institutes of Health) grants and has led with great success the NIH-funded Initiative to Maximize Student Development Program,” Locke wrote.

The initiative aims to increase the number of students from underrepresented groups completing PhDs in biomedical fields, according to the initiative’s website.

Campbell has received numerous awards, including the National Science Foundation’s CAREER Award, the Brown University School of Medicine Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award and the Brown University Presidential Award for Excellence in Faculty Governance, according to his curriculum vitae.

The dean of the Graduate school reports to the provost and is also a “member of the University’s senior academic leadership team and the President’s Cabinet,” Locke wrote.

“I look forward to working with him as he applies his considerable talents to advancing graduate education at Brown,” Locke wrote.

1. Are you all thinking what I’m thinking? Uh, is this really the best pick for the job? Read his bio…

• Thanks. I read Professor Campbell’s bio and CV. The information is very informative.

Prof. Campbell brings ~$875,000 to Brown in awarded research grants each year. We could use another 50 professors capable of winning the same amount of funding. He’s built a career at Brown over two decades. Presumably, that gives him a deep understanding of the institution, and leads one to believe he will have a long tenure as Dean.

Keep in mind the recent growth of graduate enrollment in genetics, biological science, and public health, as well as Brown’s ongoing facility investments beyond College Hill, and, in particular, the Jewellery District to support that growth. It is hard to conceive of a profile for Dean of the Graduate School that would be as good of a fit, let alone to find such a candidate outside of the Brown community.

• Yes, here’s one of his research grants for $496k:

Short-Term Training Program to Increase Diversity in
        Health-Related Research (R25)
        Role: Program Director & Co-Principal Investigator (Resigned 2012)
        Agency:NIH/NHLBI (2R25HL088992-06)
        Period: 09/01/12-06/30/17
        Direct Costs: $$99,360.00 in Year 1
        Total Award: $496,800.00
        Effort: 5% academic year effort

How proud we must all be of this. That’s what we need — someone in charge of graduate programs whose title in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology is used to shake down the NIH on the topic of diversity.

As you say, the bio is very informative.

• Would you rather Stanford or Harvard get those grants? It’s not bench research, and, therefore, likely reinforces my argument that this is a very strong profile for position of Dean.

• To be clear and to make sure everyone is playing fair here, that example represents just $100K of the annual grants, not $500K.