Latest Weezer release supplies intergenerational summer anthems

Album recalls SoCal lifestyle, Beach Boys influence while maintaining iconic sound

Weezer’s latest album “White Album,” released April 1, hearkens back to California circa 2002. The opening song, “California Kids,” sounds exactly like an anthem for MTV’s reality show “The Hills.” Its upbeat, beachy vibes are reminiscent of songs played in the background while Lauren and Lo take the OC beaches and flirt with Stephen and Brody.

“Wind in Our Sail,” the album’s second song, continues the band’s beachy soundtrack with a catchy chorus that makes you want to get up and dance. Next, “Thank God for Girls” takes a more aggressive approach while maintaining a Californian style. Think of a party montage in “The Hills” that starts with the girls and boys crews getting ready for the party, transitions to their arrival at one of the houses and closes with the peak of the party. I imagine light dancing through the house as people move from room to room while “Thank God for Girls” blares obnoxiously in the background.

“(Girl We Got a) Good Thing” is the most upbeat song on the album. Lead vocalist Rivers Cuomo has said The Beach Boys influenced the album, and “(Girl We Got a) Good Thing” bears the unmistakable mark of The Beach Boys’ carefree sound. Weezer puts its own spin on the song by incorporating a strong indie rock chorus. Parts of the track start to sound like the band’s 1994 song “My Name is Jonas” with deep guitar chords and aggressive undertones.

“King of the World” maintains Weezer’s iconic sound. The track is similar to the 2005 song “Beverly Hills,” packing strong and abrupt guitar chords and some shrill, deep instrumentals. The lyrics, particularly those of the chorus, are shouted more often than sung.

“L.A. Girlz” starts off with strong work on the amplifier, producing unpleasant chords, but immediately places the listener back in an episode of “The Hills.” This song would be played during one of the show’s season finales when Lauren and Lo part ways to embark on their college experiences. The song would provide the background for the hugging, crying and ultimate driving off onto the coastal highway in a convertible with the top down.

“White Album” is the perfect segue into the approaching summer. As the weather is growing warmer, Weezer’s latest 10 songs provide the perfect anthems for driving under the sun, lying on the beach or enjoying a summer bonfire at an outdoor party.

The band’s new music comprises its 10th studio album and fourth record named for a color. Weezer formed in 1992 and is one of few bands to have survived nearly two-and-a-half decades in the quickly evolving music industry. Its music transcends all ages and crosses multiple generations, as many remember “Island In the Sun” and “My Name is Jonas” and now listen to the group’s latest releases.

Weezer is going on tour this summer to promote “White Album.” Panic! at the Disco and Andrew McMahon will both headline the show. The tour kicks off at the Xfinity Center in Mansfield, Mass. July 1.