DPS staff member Michael Wilson dies

Wilson remembered for warm work attitude at CIT, Navy service, kindness to others

Michael Wilson, a member of the Department of Public Safety, died April 8, according to a community-wide email Friday from Karen Davis, vice president for Human Resources.

Wilson was a “model employee,” wrote Deputy Chief of Police Paul Shanley in an email to The Herald. “He was someone who was always willing to go above and beyond in order to ‘get the job done’  and help people in need,” he added.

Wilson came to Brown in 2007 to work as a building guard at the Center for Information Technology, Davis wrote. Before that, Wilson spent 32 years with the U.S. Postal Service and was a United States Navy veteran, the email stated.

In his time in the Navy, Wilson was awarded the National Defense Service Medal, the Marksman Rifle Award and the Meritorious Unit Commendation, according to an obituary in The Pawtucket Times.

Wilson was “devoted to his family, had a love of animals and was a golf enthusiast,” the obituary also stated.

Wilson “never missed a day of work until his illness last week and was always willing to lend a hand when needed,” Davis wrote. “He enjoyed talking sports with co-workers and followed the local teams on a daily basis.”

“He was an individual who truly believed that treating everyone with respect and compassion was a priority and that people mattered the most in life,” Shanley wrote of Wilson.