Corporation approves renovations to Wilson

Student discussion details work experience, diversity in curriculum

news editor
Sunday, May 29, 2016

Corporation members joined faculty members, students, staff members, neighbors and Mayor Jorge Elorza Wednesday to celebrate the topping off of the new School of Engineering at the May meeting of the Corporation, President Christina Paxson P’19 wrote in a campus-wide email Friday. The Committee on Facilities and Campus Planning also heard progress reports on other facilities projects, while the Committee on Budget and Finance authorized an architect plan for the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs and renovations to Wilson Hall and the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center.

The Corporation also accepted $14.35 million in gifts, Paxson wrote. The gifts will fund athletic renovations, renovations of 163 George Street, the establishment of the Wealth and Income Inequality Project and the Brown Annual Fund, among others. Renovations to Wilson Hall “will include making that important classroom building fully accessible.” This comes after student calls to make the building on the Main Green more accessible and a discussion between Student and Employee Accessibility Services Director Catherine Axe ’87 and the Undergraduate Council of Students.

Though the gifts do not match the $25 million that the Corporation accepted last year, this year’s gifts accompany the $1.06 billion dollars raised by the BrownTogether campaign as it attempts to reach a $3 billion dollar goal.

Corporation members also engaged in an informal discussion with students student work experience and diversity in the curriculum, Paxson wrote.

The Corporation elected five new Trustees as well as Mya Roberson ’16, who will serve a three-year long term as a Young Alumni Trustee. The Corporation also approved the appointment of 23 faculty members to named chairs, Paxson wrote.

In keeping with tradition for the annual May meeting, members of the Board of Fellows approved more than 2,500 degrees that were awarded at Sunday’s Commencement.

• More investment in bricks and mortar.
    Brown’s tuition is among the highest in the nation… and yet Brown continues to pour more money into non-productive capital projects.
    Where’s the value for money?

Both sides of the equation are trending in the wrong direction:

1) Cost: Brown’s increasing costs at 3x inflation since 1980. Costs increasing.
    2) Benefit: Brown students earn less than other elite universities…less than the rest of the Ivy League, less than other top universities. Benefits declining.

Costs increasing / benefits declining = Declining cost/benefit ratio = failing education model.