Formidable offense powers women's soccer to 2-1 victory over Lafayette

Goals from Story ’19, Waldman ’18 fuel Bears to home victory as Brown outshoots Lafayette 21-8

The women’s soccer team bounced back from a pair of losses last week with a 2-1 victory over Lafayette College at Stevenson-Pincince Field Sunday.

Celia Story ’19 and Mikela Waldman ’18 scored a goal each, fueling Bruno (4-2) to victory. Story put the Bears on the board in the eighth minute, netting a cross from Waldman at the right post.

“We were doing well getting wide — we had some success with Mikela getting some crosses in,” Story said. “We were just aggressive to the ball. We just wanted to win the ball, and that gave us some energy up top.”

Waldman widened the lead in the 53rd minute, redirecting a cross inside the box from Jennifer Caruso ’19 past the goalkeeper.

A one-on-one goal from Alexa Buffa brought the game closer in the 77th minute, but Bruno held onto the lead until the final whistle.

Brown dominated offensively, taking 21 shots for Lafayette’s eight.

“You saw a lot more creativity in the attacking third today,” said Head Coach Kia McNeill. “There (are) not a lot of schools that are generating opportunities like that. We got a lot of our attacking players confident on the ball (and) got them a lot of minutes in the game.”

Veteran goalkeeper Christine Etzel ’19 made her sixth appearance of the season, blocking one shot.

With Ivy League play looming, McNeill emphasized the importance of capitalizing on offensive plays and building confidence.

“We got a lot of chances on goal, now we’ve got to put them away,” McNeill said. “You get confident through scoring goals and having strong opportunities in front of the net, and … solidifying things in the back third as well. We can’t be giving up easy goals in the Ivy League, so we’ve just got to continue to tighten things up that way.”

The Bears will face conference rival Dartmouth to open league play at home Sept. 24. Since the beginning of its season in August, the team has become more comfortable playing with one another, McNeill said.

“It’s amazing how well the freshmen have come in and kind of integrated themselves and made an impact into our lineup here,” McNeill said. “You’re starting to see the chemistry come together between a lot of them.”

“When you come in, you have freshmen you haven’t played with — we get started right away,” Story said. “We have some great freshmen, and everyone on the team really likes hanging out and playing together. The more time we get to play together, the better we get.”

Bruno visits Massachusetts Thursday before hosting Central Connecticut State Sunday.