News, University News

University creates position to aid international students

Mehta ’18 to plan international career fair, encourage collaboration between resource groups

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Divya Mehta ’18 will use her own experience as an international student to offer guidance to peers in the job search process.

1. Congrats Mehta! This is an important position because, let’s face it, being an international student away from home for the first time is difficult, compounded by our complex culture and language problems. Welcoming and assimilation assistance must come from numerous sources, including the White House, to aid these young people embarking on life’s journey. Most struggle in their efforts and need guidance from schools’ international departments, immigration protection, host families, concerned neighbors and fellow students, and even informative books to extend a cultural helping hand.
    Something that might help anyone coming to the US is the award-winning worldwide book/ebook “What Foreigners Need To Know About America From A To Z: How to Understand Crazy American Culture, People, Government, Business, Language and More.” Used in foreign Fulbright student programs and endorsed worldwide by ambassadors, educators, and editors, it identifies how “foreigners” have become successful in the US, including students.
    It explains how to cope with a confusing new culture and friendship process, and daunting classroom differences. It explains how US businesses operate and how to get a job (which differs from most countries), a must for those who want to work with/for an American firm here or overseas.
    It also identifies the most common English grammar and speech problems foreigners have and tips for easily overcoming them, the number one stumbling block they say they have to succeeding here.
    Good luck to all wherever you study or wherever you come from, because that is the TRUE spirit of the American PEOPLE, not a few in government who shout the loudest! Supporters of int’l students must shout louder.

2. “I’m trying to create collaborative events between CareerLab, OISSS, Dean of the College and Global Engagement to offer information, so that a student doesn’t have to run from office to office to get an answer,”
    Nothing against Mehta’s appointment, but this points to a much deeper problem.
    That is, with >288 departments and nearly 5000 staff, Brown is over-administered. Management confusion results when there are too many administrators, and too few people who actually get work done. The more management layers one adds, the greater the “administrative friction”–people given make-work jobs in order to make their bosses look like they’re doing something.
    Brown has grown its administrative staff by 300% over the past 30 years. I believe that this has primarily been due to the increasing availability of student loans, allowing Brown to spend more and more money on management infrastructure.
    If Brown were a corporation, it would have gone out of business years ago. That’s because corporations (and high-performing universities) measure the results “at the pointy end”–that is, learning provided per dollar, and student achievement. How much should it cost to teach 15 students with one professor (or untenured faculty) in a room–$20,000 per student (for the math-challenged: 4 courses/student) is wayyyyy too much.
    With a budget of nearly $1 billion to teach ~8000 students, Brown’s expenses are way out of whack.
    Rather than hiring Mehta (who I’m sure is a great person), Paxson et co. should look at a drastic reduction in administrative personnel.
    Let’s try this as a thought exercise, Christina P: How about reducing Brown staff by 2/3rds? Outsource hotel costs, security and job placement. While you’re at it, outsource language learning, computer programming and many other subjects that are better taught by outside service providers.
    Will this happen? No, of course not. As long as Brown receives more and more government cheese, administrators will hire more administrative underlings. And Christina Paxson will continue to think that her main job is to raise new money (rather than attack Brown’s bloated infrastructure).

3. Brown is too expensive as it is. When will it stop?