Raimondo, Fung to face off in gubernatorial election

Regunberg ’12 narrowly loses to McKee in race for lt. governor, Elorza secures democratic vote

Updated Sept. 13 at 9:44 p.m.

Over 144,000 Rhode Islanders cast their votes yesterday in the primary elections, according to the R.I. Board of Elections. Nominees for the Democratic and Republican parties have been chosen for the general election at both the federal and state levels.

https://youtu.be/qIBfGYrmwHs

Incumbent Gov. Gina Raimondo defeated Matt Brown and Spencer Dickinson in a landslide for the Democratic nomination for governor with 57.2 percent of the vote, according to the New York Times. Brown received 33.5 percent of the vote, while Dickinson received 9.3 percent.

Mayor of Cranston Allan Fung defeated Patricia Morgan and Giovanni Feroce for the Republican nomination for governor with 56.4 percent of the vote to Morgan’s 40.1 percent and Feroce’s 3.5 percent, according to the Times. A four-term mayor known for his fiscal reform, Fung is running on a platform that aims to cut down on corruption and strengthen work requirements for welfare recipients, according to his campaign website.

“You know what this means — get up tomorrow and work even harder,” Raimondo said during her acceptance speech. “November is around the corner, and I am fired up! Because we have a real race ahead of us.” Raimondo reminded voters that Fung opposes her administration’s job-creation policies and would not have the courage to stand up to President Trump.

In the 2014 gubernatorial election, Fung narrowly lost to Raimondo, but current polls show them evenly matched this time around, according to WPRI.

“Tonight, all of you have spoken loudly and clearly that you are ready to take back our state from the insiders, the big shots, the connected,” Fung said in his acceptance speech to cheers. “The hard-working Rhode Islander is going to be at the front and center of every decision we make. You need a break.”

In his concession speech, Brown pledged to support Raimondo in her re-election campaign. “We were outspent 13 to one. I wouldn’t have done it different,” Brown told The Herald.

The race for the Democratic nomination for lieutenant governor was hotly contested. Incumbent Daniel McKee pulled off the win with 57,343 votes to the 54,955 garnered by Aaron Regunberg ’12, according to WPRI. Paul Pence won the Republican nomination uncontested.

Incumbent Mayor Jorge Elorza handily gained the Democratic nomination for mayor of Providence with 58.6 percent of the vote with 99 percent of precincts reporting by press time, according to WPRI. Elorza defeated community activist Kobi Dennis and nonprofit president Robert DeRobbio, who received 24.2 percent and 17.2 percent, respectively. Dramatically out-fundraising his opponents, Elorza assured voters he would focus on finding a sustainable solution for Providence’s $2 billion financial obligations, according to the Providence Journal.

In the race for U.S. Senate, incumbent Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., secured the Democratic nomination with 76.8 percent of the vote against 81-year-old activist Patricia Fontes, according to the Times. Whitehouse has built a reputation as a leader of climate-change reform in the Senate and as a vocal critic of the Trump administration.

For the Republican nomination, Robert Flanders ’71 defeated Roque De La Fuente with 87.7 percent of the vote, according to the Times. In his campaign, Flanders has promised to put the state above partisan politics and to be unafraid to speak his mind.

Two U.S. House seats were on the ballot yesterday, and incumbent Rep. David Cicilline ’83, D-R.I., bested Christopher Young for the Democratic nomination for House District 1 with 77.9 percent of the vote and 99 percent of precincts reporting as of press time, according to the Times. Patrick Donovan defeated Frederick Wysocki for the Republican nomination with 78.3 percent of the vote and 99 percent of precincts reporting as of press time.

For House District 2, both Republican Salvatore Caiozzo and incumbent Rep. Jim Langevin, D-R.I., ran uncontested.

Of the 38 state Senate seats up for grabs, only 13 of the nominations were contested. In the state House primary, which had 75 seats up for election, 20 nominations were contested.

In the races for seats on the Providence City Council, incumbent Councilman Seth Yurdin secured 64.6 percent of the vote over Justice Gaines in Ward 1. In the open seat in Ward 2, Helen Anthony edged out Ryan Holt and Mark Feinstein with 65.7 percent of the vote.

Peter Neronha received the Democratic nomination for attorney general uncontested.

For the general treasurer race, incumbent Seth Magaziner received the Democratic nomination, and Michael Riley won the Republican nomination, both uncontested. Both candidates for secretary of state also ran uncontested, with incumbent Nellie Gorbea receiving the Democratic nomination and Pat Cortellessa garnering the Republican nomination.