Letters to the Editor

Letter: Students should take advantage of DPS services

Opinions

September 20, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: My name is Chun Cheng, and I am a Brown alum that just graduated a few months ago. I am writing regarding an article I saw in The Herald.

Letter: What’s the University’s moral litmus test for accepting donations?

Opinions, Uncategorized

September 17, 2019 0 comments

The University’s decision to place Director of Development for Computer and Data Science Initiatives Peter Cohen on academic leave in the wake of reports that he helped conceal Jeffrey Epstein’s donations to Massachusetts Institute of Technology raises a broader issue.

Letter: Brown breaks education funding promise

Opinions

September 16, 2019 0 comments

I am disappointed in the Brown administration’s efforts to cite its current programmatic investments in Providence schools as a way to excuse Brown’s failure to meet its more than decade-old commitment to raise $10 million for a permanent fund to support K-12 education in Providence.

Letter: Brown’s gift policy is rooted in ethics

Opinions

September 13, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: A recent guest column in The Herald, while well intentioned, incorrectly implied that Brown does not have a gift acceptance policy that is ethical. We want to assure the Brown community that the University does. The Communications, Alumni and External Affairs Committee of the Corporation of Brown […]

Letter: Public condemnation by CS HTAs further isolates students

Opinions

September 8, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: As a computing education researcher, a teaching assistant and, most importantly, an equal member of the CS community, I was deeply dismayed by the April 25 letter by Head Teaching Assistants for CSCI 0150: “Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming and Computer Science.”

Letter: Culture of Computer Science department is inclusive, growth oriented

Opinions

April 25, 2019 0 comments

Although we appreciate the PhD student’s concern, we feel his quote was not completely informed — as this student has never taken any of the CS department’s intro sequences.

Letter: Divestment a thorny issue, students should consider new strategies, partnerships

Opinions

April 10, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor:In an April 4 op-ed in The Herald, I was impressed with Anuj Krishnamurthy ’19 ’s debating skills regarding divestment in support of Palestinian civil rights.

Letter: Students should use guide to Hay library

Opinions

March 22, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: The concluding paragraph of Thursday’s article “Hay library houses vast collection,” noted “Fields of Hay,” the recently-launched undergraduate guide to the John Hay Library.

Letter: A Jewish case against Brown Divest

Opinions

March 21, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: In response to “A Jewish case for Brown Divest,” we, a group of Jewish students at Brown, would like to offer a different Jewish perspective and articulate why opposing divestment is in line with Jewish values. The authors contend that their Jewish identity “compels (them) to speak […]

Letter: University is taking steps to continue to support graduate students of color

Opinions

March 20, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: Brown’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan emphasizes the University’s commitment to strengthening the diversity of our community by recruiting students, faculty and staff from historically underrepresented groups to campus.