Letters to the Editor

Letter: A child left behind

March 5, 2015 1 comment

The recent article “Black R.I. students see high suspension rates” addresses a serious problem that the legislature in this state needs to address now.

Letter: Alcohol policy does not cause issues off campus

February 26, 2015 3 comments

It is not the case that there has been an overall increase in off-campus incidents or that Brown students at large are a disruptive force on College Hill.

Letter: ROTC members welcome but not superior

February 11, 2015 4 comments

The anti-war members of the community ought to welcome ROTC members. They are students like everyone else, excited to engage in the pursuit of knowledge.

Opinions

Letter: Brown has proud history of military service

February 10, 2015 1 comment

To the Editor: In his Feb. 5 column “ROTC:  Return of the Criminals,” Peter Makhlouf ’16 made the claim that “Brown has a rich ‘anti-military,’ anti-war history.” Perhaps his fiery rhetoric precluded actual research, because his historical myopia is disappointing. Similarly disappointing was the unquestioning acceptance of this claim in […]

Letter: ROTC should not have campus presence

February 9, 2015 22 comments

To the Editor: I appreciate and agree with Herald Opinions Columnist Peter Makhlouf’s ’16 strong opposition to the Brown faculty’s approval of a resolution to establish partnerships with Navy and Air Force ROTC units at Holy Cross. There is, as he says, an admirable tradition of anti-war and anti-military organizing […]

Letter: Diversity in hiring conflated with subjectivity

February 5, 2015 0 comments

To the Editor: An article in the Feb. 4 issue of The Herald, “Faculty endorses tie to Holy Cross ROTC program,” significantly misrepresented the report to the faculty by the Committee on Faculty Equity and Diversity. By linking “high expectations for diversity in hiring practices” and “a new element of […]

Letter: Phi Psi says no member spiked drink

January 21, 2015 3 comments

We are committed to a just investigation and the implementation of policies that work to make our community a safer place for all.

Letter: Greek Council aims to create safe space

January 19, 2015 15 comments

We are committed to working with the administration and the greater Brown community to address the serious issues that we as a community are facing.

Letter: Incident warrants long-term frat suspension

December 4, 2014 6 comments

Only when each member of a community is held responsible for the actions of the whole is there any hope that we will see the change we need on campus.

Letter: Janus Forum alternatives and freedom of choice

November 19, 2014 14 comments

Without alternative events, the pressure is put on survivors to go and listen to comments that might be harmful in order to refute them.