Letters to the Editor

Letter: Culture of Computer Science department is inclusive, growth oriented

Opinions

April 25, 2019 0 comments

Although we appreciate the PhD student’s concern, we feel his quote was not completely informed — as this student has never taken any of the CS department’s intro sequences.

Letter: Divestment a thorny issue, students should consider new strategies, partnerships

Opinions

April 10, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor:In an April 4 op-ed in The Herald, I was impressed with Anuj Krishnamurthy ’19 ’s debating skills regarding divestment in support of Palestinian civil rights.

Letter: Students should use guide to Hay library

Opinions

March 22, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: The concluding paragraph of Thursday’s article “Hay library houses vast collection,” noted “Fields of Hay,” the recently-launched undergraduate guide to the John Hay Library.

Letter: A Jewish case against Brown Divest

Opinions

March 21, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: In response to “A Jewish case for Brown Divest,” we, a group of Jewish students at Brown, would like to offer a different Jewish perspective and articulate why opposing divestment is in line with Jewish values. The authors contend that their Jewish identity “compels (them) to speak […]

Letter: University is taking steps to continue to support graduate students of color

Opinions

March 20, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: Brown’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan emphasizes the University’s commitment to strengthening the diversity of our community by recruiting students, faculty and staff from historically underrepresented groups to campus.

Letter: Two state solution referendum is preferable to divestment

Opinions

March 19, 2019 0 comments

In Kyle Price’s ’20 recent op-ed, the author opposes the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement against Israel. As a Jew, I’m reluctantly against BDS and fearful that it could become a camouflage for blatantly anti-Semitic activities.

Letter: Investment Office’s response to divestment is misleading

Opinions

March 19, 2019 0 comments

In their recent op-ed, Dowling, Dietze and Kennedy ’97 argue that it is infeasible for Brown to divest because of the complicated nature of managing the endowment. This claim is concerning, considering the fact that Brown University has claimed to divest from tobacco, genocide in Darfur, and HEI Hotels and Resorts.

Bokhary ’21: University should prioritize ethics over profit

March 14, 2019 0 comments

In his column titled “Divestment has severe costs — and nobody is talking about them,”  Anuj Krishnamurthy ’19 seeks to discredit Brown Divest and essentially places the University’s financial well-being over the ethics of being a stakeholder in companies that profit off the suffering of Palestinians.

Letter: The Herald must appoint a public editor

Opinions

March 13, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: In the wake of the Providence Journal’s exposé of Martin Granoff’s P ’93 exclusive dinners, numerous students took to the Dear Blueno Facebook page to criticize The Brown Daily Herald — the supposed premier source for news about Brown — for missing the scoop.

Letter: President Paxson should apologize for University involvement in private dinner

Opinions

February 28, 2019 0 comments

I was disheartened to read President Christina Paxson’s P’19 statement regarding the Granoff dinners, which was quoted in The Herald Wednesday.