Letters to the Editor

Letter: Let’s not forget the lessons of the past

October 31, 2018 0 comments

The interfaith vigil for Tree of Life victims held Oct. 29 had at least 2,000 people in attendance. As the crowd thinned at the end, I found myself talking with a woman who had studied with the late wife of Professor Emeritus of Computer Science Peter Wegner.

Letter: Dining services update

Opinions

Letter: Dining services update

October 30, 2018 0 comments

On Oct. 16, The Herald published an article with the good news that a project to install air conditioning in the Sharpe Refectory is moving forward.

Letter: We should respect federal ruling on graduate student unionization

Opinions

October 26, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: I write to address a number of points made in a letter written by faculty colleagues regarding graduate student unionization, published in The Herald Tuesday, Oct. 23. 

Letter: U. support for ProJo goes beyond subscriptions

Opinions

October 24, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: Despite the clarification to the Oct. 9 editorial, “University should buy ProJo subscriptions,” subsequent letters from readers make clear the need to share additional details on the extensive access to the Providence Journal that the University already provides to students, faculty and staff. First, through a subscription […]

Letter: University should respect potential vote to unionize regardless of federal policy

Opinions

October 23, 2018 0 comments

Over the past few years, graduate students at the University, like graduate students at many other universities, have been organizing to form a union.

Letter: In support of individual ProJo subscriptions for University community

Opinions, Uncategorized

October 21, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: The Oct. 9 Herald editorial urging the University to provide individual Providence Journal subscriptions to the Brown community is powerful in its description of the problems facing the Providence Journal and other American newspapers.

Letter: ProJo subscriptions would display University’s commitment to community

October 19, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: I read with great interest your Oct. 10 editorial proposing that Brown support the local news effort and purchase subscriptions to the Providence Journal, making the newspaper available to all students, faculty and staff.

Opinions

Letter: Brown Dining Services violates U., R.I. labor policies

October 18, 2018 0 comments

We are current and former student supervisors and managers writing to inform you that we believe that Brown Dining Services fails to comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, Rhode Island General Law 28-12-3.2 and Brown University policy 40.030.

Letter: Open Curriculum founder would support consulting

Opinions

October 4, 2018 0 comments

To the editor: In his column published Sept. 24, Aidan Calvelli ’19 argued that working in management consulting betrays the principles that Elliot Maxwell ’68 P ’06 and Ira Magaziner ’69 P ’06, P ’07, P ’10 built into the New Curriculum. Is the author aware that Magaziner spent much […]

Letter: CareerLAB should bear responsibility for recruiting culture, too

Opinions

September 30, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: Over the last few days, readers of The Herald have witnessed a heated online debate unravel over Brown’s recruiting culture, specifically with regard to consulting.