Letters to the Editor

Letter: University is taking steps to continue to support graduate students of color

Opinions

March 20, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: Brown’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan emphasizes the University’s commitment to strengthening the diversity of our community by recruiting students, faculty and staff from historically underrepresented groups to campus.

Letter: Two state solution referendum is preferable to divestment

Opinions

March 19, 2019 0 comments

In Kyle Price’s ’20 recent op-ed, the author opposes the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions movement against Israel. As a Jew, I’m reluctantly against BDS and fearful that it could become a camouflage for blatantly anti-Semitic activities.

Letter: Investment Office’s response to divestment is misleading

Opinions

March 19, 2019 0 comments

In their recent op-ed, Dowling, Dietze and Kennedy ’97 argue that it is infeasible for Brown to divest because of the complicated nature of managing the endowment. This claim is concerning, considering the fact that Brown University has claimed to divest from tobacco, genocide in Darfur, and HEI Hotels and Resorts.

Bokhary ’21: University should prioritize ethics over profit

March 14, 2019 0 comments

In his column titled “Divestment has severe costs — and nobody is talking about them,”  Anuj Krishnamurthy ’19 seeks to discredit Brown Divest and essentially places the University’s financial well-being over the ethics of being a stakeholder in companies that profit off the suffering of Palestinians.

Letter: The Herald must appoint a public editor

Opinions

March 13, 2019 0 comments

To the Editor: In the wake of the Providence Journal’s exposé of Martin Granoff’s P ’93 exclusive dinners, numerous students took to the Dear Blueno Facebook page to criticize The Brown Daily Herald — the supposed premier source for news about Brown — for missing the scoop.

Letter: President Paxson should apologize for University involvement in private dinner

Opinions

February 28, 2019 0 comments

I was disheartened to read President Christina Paxson’s P’19 statement regarding the Granoff dinners, which was quoted in The Herald Wednesday.

Letter: Brown Spectator revival should embrace spirit of open-mindedness, intellectual rigor

Opinions

February 1, 2019 0 comments

As the former Editor of The Brown Spectator who revived the publication as an undergraduate student, I read with interest Anuj Krishnamurthy’s op-ed, “Bring Back the Brown Spectator.”

Opinions

Letter: The University should pledge to continue disciplinary proceedings for allegations of off-campus sexual misconduct

January 24, 2019 0 comments

Will the University pledge to continue to investigate and adjudicate complaints of rape and other sexual misconduct involving Brown students alleged to have occurred off-campus or in areas unaffiliated with the University?

Letter: Paxson establishes false dichotomy between unionization and collaboration

Opinions

November 19, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: Is there any evidence that unionization at other universities has corroded positive relationships between graduate students and administrators? If there is, President Paxson P’19 would do well to share it.

Letter: Unionization would further shared governance

Opinions

November 13, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: In response to President Christina Paxson’s P’19 Nov. 12 op-ed in The Herald: “shared governance” is valuable to the extent that it includes shared power.