Commencement Magazine 2015

Evan Sweren: Loved and lost

May 21, 2015 0 comments

Peel away the brick, take away the railings and there’s a story well worth sharing.

Destin Sisemore: Beyond walls

May 21, 2015 0 comments

Some people friend-requested way too many people on Facebook before we all arrived on campus. I’m one of those people.

Ellia Higuchi: Siestas and Brown

May 21, 2015 0 comments

When I studied abroad in Spain I marveled at their siestas — which some, but not all, take to eat lunch for around two hours in the middle of the day.

Rachel Himes: Community development

May 21, 2015 0 comments

I arrived at Brown a little worried about a lot of things. I lost sleep in the days counting down to Convocation: Would anyone at this school care about me?

Sriya Muralidharan: Which is my heartland?

May 21, 2015 0 comments

When 17-year-old me had to choose my next temple of learning, I looked for a school where I could tangibly feel both Indian and American at once.

Jo’Nella Queen: at brown

Jo’Nella Queen: at brown

May 21, 2015 0 comments

at brown, i learned how to be black and of the intersectional-multilingual-diasporic beauty strength and power we hold.

Mathias Heller: A Brunonian side of paradise?

May 21, 2015 0 comments

One of my favorite novels is F. Scott Fitzgerald’s “This Side of Paradise,” which I have read twice and recommend to anyone.

Will Palmer: Awake

Will Palmer: Awake

May 21, 2015 0 comments

It is what we cannot imagine — what we are wrong now to dismiss as impossible — these are the marvels we jeopardize when we declare, “I am now awake.”

David Sheinfeld: Brothers at Brown

David Sheinfeld: Brothers at Brown

May 21, 2015 1 comment

Because I am terrible at icebreakers and grew up in the quiet suburbs, having three brothers is usually my go-to fun fact.

Sienna Zeilinger: Blue heron

Sienna Zeilinger: Blue heron

May 21, 2015 0 comments

One recent Saturday a friend and I hopped on our bicycles and rode the East Bay Bike Path down to Bristol.