Commencement Magazine 2018

Soraya Ferdman: On discord

Soraya Ferdman: On discord

May 25, 2018 0 comments

This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018When I left Puerto Rico to go to college, I had no intention of returning. I never felt quite at home there, in part because I did not look, speak or think like those around me. My mother is Iranian, my […]

Marisa Chib: Writing as writing, as rioting, as righting

May 25, 2018 0 comments

This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018My first day at Brown, I remember excitement and nerves. The smell of a fresh coat of paint as I walked into my dorm, the flash of a camera bulb as I took my ID picture. But most of all, I […]

Agnes Chan: Insecurities

Agnes Chan: Insecurities

May 25, 2018 0 comments

This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018I distinctly remember the dread that filled me when I sat down to write my “Why Brown?” essay five years ago. Scattered across my desk were brochures collected from dozens of college fairs, and my browser was clogged with 20 or […]

Gillian Lee: Seeking value

Gillian Lee: Seeking value

May 25, 2018 0 comments

This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018As an applied math-economics concentrator, I’ve spent my undergraduate career learning about different ways to quantify the difference between an expected value and a true value. I’ve spent hours poring over notes and problem sets on concepts from mean squared error, […]

Paul sitting on the steps of Baylor's house.

Baylor Knobloch: Making a house a home

May 25, 2018 0 comments

This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018My apartment building’s superintendent is the most reliable man in my life right now. Paul is an employee of Mitrelis Enterprises, a business housed in the basement of our building. Our landlord, Andy Mitrelis, is an 88-year-old Greek man who owns […]

Margaret Hu: Embracing discomfort

Margaret Hu: Embracing discomfort

May 25, 2018 0 comments

This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018Like many first-year students, I arrived at Brown with bright eyes, elated to begin college at what I considered the perfect school. This was my chance to live the dream: the American dream my parents had worked so hard to realize, […]

Michelle Zabat: Dad jokes

Michelle Zabat: Dad jokes

May 25, 2018 0 comments

This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018I’ll never forget my father’s last words to me before I started college: “Michelle, every single person at this school is going to be smarter than you.” I still remember that moment so clearly, standing on the sidewalk outside of Keeney […]

Mili Mitra: Memory ghosts

Mili Mitra: Memory ghosts

May 25, 2018 0 comments

This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018The summer before my first year at Brown, whilst deep in the throes of high school nostalgia, I stumbled across a Huffington Post blog titled, “Letting Go of Your Memory Ghost.” It began: “Do you know what a memory ghost is? […]

Ameer Malik: Learning how to imagine

Ameer Malik: Learning how to imagine

May 25, 2018 0 comments

This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018I am a member of Brown’s 250th graduating class. This means I entered Brown in 2014 to those “Imagine Brown 250+” signs, which hung from lampposts and academic buildings all over campus. And I remember thinking: What a lame slogan. What […]

Samantha Savello: Something new

Samantha Savello: Something new

May 25, 2018 0 comments

This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2018A magazine cover inspired me to change my concentration from the sciences to the humanities. Had someone told me then, as a freshman, I would never have believed it. But here I am, more satisfied than ever with my decision.  I […]