Fall 2011 Student Poll

Fall 2011 Student Poll: One percent express interest in off-campus ROTC

November 6, 2011 0 comments

The vast majority of students indicated they would not be interested in joining a Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program if Brown offered one, according to a recent Herald poll. Students also expressed mixed opinions on the number of admissions spots for recruited athletes, and they almost never deemed their classes too small — only too big or just right.

Fall 2011 student poll results

November 6, 2011 0 comments

This article is part of the series Fall 2011 Student PollCircle which of the following you own: Laptop (non-netbook): 97.5% Netbook: 3.1% eReader (Kindle, Nook, etc.): 6.2% Tablet computer: 5.5% iPod or MP3 player: 67.8% iPhone: 37.4% Android phone: 13.4% Blackberry: 13.5%   Do you approve or disapprove of the […]

Student approval of Simmons rises

November 15, 2011 0 comments

In the wake of her September announcement that she plans to step down at the end of this academic year, President Ruth Simmons remains a popular figure in the eyes of students. Her job approval rating among students increased from last semester’s rating of 62.4 percent to 68.2 percent, according to the most recent Herald poll.

Students feel less wealthy than their peers

November 17, 2011 0 comments

Students are more likely to perceive their family’s wealth as lower than that of the average Brown student’s, according to a November poll conducted by The Herald.

ECON 0110 is among the introductory courses that attract hundreds of students.

Undergrads satisfied with class sizes

November 20, 2011 0 comments

About 65 percent of students think their classes are just right — neither too big nor too small — according to a recent Herald poll. Twenty-seven percent of students, especially first-years and sophomores, reported that their classes are too large.

Increased satisfaction reflects advising changes

November 27, 2011 0 comments

Many students are drawn to Brown by the freedom and independence the New Curriculum offers.

Students fall short of sex expectations

November 28, 2011 0 comments

Despite the widespread attention Brown has garnered as the home of the infamous SexPowerGod party, the University is less sexually freewheeling than its reputation suggests. Poll results reveal Brunonians may be having less sex than their peers across the country: Most students have only had one sexual partner or none at all this semester.

Let’s get digital: Nearly all undergrads own laptops

November 29, 2011 0 comments

Thirty years ago, having a portable writing machine meant lugging a typewriter across campus.

Confidence in job prospects varied

November 30, 2011 0 comments

Corner office or a corner in your parents’ basement? Students reported varying levels of confidence in their ability to obtain a desirable job after graduation in a recent Herald poll.

Campus ROTC office gains favor

December 5, 2011 0 comments

While faculty and students remain divided over the University’s policy on the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, many community members said they are in favor of the formation of the office for ROTC called for by the Corporation at its October meeting.