On the Rhode

Features

Historic Pawtuxet Village offers bay views, good food

February 6, 2012 1 comment

Both historic and quaint, Pawtuxet Village — located along the Pawtuxet River on the border of Warwick and Cranston — is a treasure undiscovered by most students. Without a car, the trek to Pawtuxet is not highly convenient. But for those adventurous enough to navigate the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority, the 20 to 30 minute bus ride may be all the more rewarding.

Features

Italian delicacies delight on Federal Hill

February 15, 2012 0 comments

For many students, Federal Hill is the elusive strip of pricey Italian restaurants reserved for dinners during Family Weekend. But there’s another side to the neighborhood waiting to be explored — at just a short distance from the Dunkin Donuts Center and the Financial District, it is easy to see why Federal Hill has earned its reputation as “the Heartbeat of Providence.”

Features

Only in Olneyville, vintage treasures and treats

March 7, 2012 0 comments

Over the river and through the woods – at a lengthy three miles from campus, Providence’s Olneyville neighborhood might seem like a reach even for Brown students eager to explore.

Features

Park offers respite, romance and exotic animals

April 25, 2012 0 comments

Featuring paths weaving through gardens, an award-winning zoo and historical structures such as the Temple to Music and an antique-style Bandstand, Roger Williams Park makes for a leisurely, whimsical day off of College Hill. A 15-minute drive from campus, the park is a 435-acre complex nestled in South Providence’s Elmwood neighborhood. 

Features

Independent businesses liven up Hope Street

October 3, 2012 0 comments

You can think of Hope Street as Thayer’s little sister – a quieter, more wholesome sibling with her own special spark.

Features

Rebirth centered on Westminster Street

October 24, 2012 1 comment

Just a block away from Kennedy Plaza, Westminster Street is  home to an eclectic spread of small businesses specializing in clothes and accessories.