Topic: 1968 black student walkout

Students rallied on the Main Green on Wednesday to commemorate the 1968 black student walkout. From there, they walked to the Slavery Memorial on the Quiet Green and later the Pembroke campus.

News, University News

Students commemorate legacy, impact of 1968 walkout

December 7, 2018 0 comments
This article is part of the series 1968 Black Student Walkout

On Wednesday morning, community members gathered on the Main Green to celebrate the legacy and activism of the students who participated in the 1968 black student walkout.

The 1968 black student walkout occurred in the midst of a period of national racial unrest that resulted in protests at colleges across the country, such as Howard University and Columbia.

News, University News

1968 walkout participants, black alums recall University’s isolating climate

December 6, 2018 0 comments

The women of Pembroke College who staged one of the largest student walkouts in University history in December 1968 chose to protest publicly only after exhausting all other options, said Ido Jamar ’69, a Pembroke graduate who helped organize the walkout 50 years ago. 

Students line up at Faunce Arch to begin the walkout.

News, University News

On 50th anniversary, alums reflect on black student walkout

December 5, 2018 0 comments

Sitting in a quiet meeting room at the Faculty Club, Kenneth McDaniel ’69 reflected on the black student walkout that took place 50 years ago and brought the campus to a standstill.

Professor of Philosophy Lewis Gordon (left) and Professor of Critical and Cultural Studies R.A. Judy (right) reflected on 1968 at an event Friday.

News, University News

Symposium examines, reflects on activism of 1968

November 4, 2018 0 comments

Last week, the Department of Africana Studies held a two-day symposium to examine the legacy of political activism that took place around the world during 1968, including the black student walkout that occurred at Brown fifty years ago.

President Emeritus Ruth Simmons was presented with the inaugural Black Legacy Award. Throughout Saturday afternoon, alums attended panels and workshops focused on ameliorating racial and economic inequalities.

News, University News

Black alumni connect, celebrate at reunion

September 23, 2018 0 comments

This weekend, the University hosted the fourth Black Alumni Reunion, which brought over 600 graduates back to College Hill.

Lexi Lerner ’18 MD’23, left, and Naomi Chasek-Macfoy ’18, right, will deliver the commencement speeches at the 250th Commencement ceremony on the Main Green May 27.

Senior orators: Naomi Chasek-Macfoy ’18, Lexi Lerner ’18 MD’23

May 25, 2018 0 comments

For the past three years, Naomi Chasek-Macfoy ’18 has retold the story of the 1968 black student walkout as a workshop facilitator for the Third World Transition Program.