Topic: Alpert Medical School

Philanthropist, business leader Herb Kaplan dies at 81

January 7, 2017 0 comments

Herbert Kaplan, president of The Warren Alpert Foundation and former CEO of Warren Equities, died in his sleep Jan. 2

Rushika Fernandopulle, co-founder of Iora Health, presents at Healthcare in America, a lecture series sponsored by Alpert Medical School. Fernandopulle was one of many industry professionals who spoke in the series.

Science & Research, University News

Lecture series demystifies healthcare system

November 18, 2016 0 comments

Open to students, faculty members and staff members, Healthcare in America is a lecture series and pre-clinical elective at the Alpert Medical School.

Of the $27 million donation, $5 million will go to endowing the first professorship at the Brown Institute for Translational Science, and $22 million will provide tuition assitance and stipends for the MD/PhD program.

Science & Research, University News

Med School receives $27 million donation

November 15, 2016 0 comments

The $27 million gift comes almost a decade after the foundation’s initial $100 million donation that established the name of the medical school in 2007.

Med students host health fair for Providence locals

November 7, 2016 0 comments

Beside Kennedy Plaza lies a park with a half-sunken boat jutting out of the struggling grass.

Applicants struggle with structural flaws in pre-health advising system

October 28, 2016 0 comments

Brown touts one of the highest matriculation rates for its undergraduate students into medical school among universities in the United States.

U. researchers among team testing dementia treatment

Science & Research

October 18, 2016 0 comments

Researchers from Brown hope that transcranial magnetic stimulation will become the first successful treatment for frontotemporal dementia.

The University announced a four-year program that will allow students to earn a joint MD-MPA joint degree upon graduation. This interdisciplinary curriculum, which will begin in the summer of 2017, is the first of its kind to offer a unique perspective on healthcare for future physicians.

Brown becomes first in country to offer four-year joint MD-MPA program

September 28, 2016 0 comments

The University will launch a dual-degree program in which students earn a doctorate of medicine and a master’s of public affairs in four years in 2017.

Med School sees discrepancy in ranking, selectivity

April 13, 2016 0 comments

In the U.S. News and World Report 2017 Best Medical Schools rankings, the Alpert Medical School kept its rank as the 35th-best research school.

Science & Research, University News

Zika virus may affect R.I., study abroad plans

March 11, 2016 0 comments

Thousands of miles may separate Providence from the epicenter of the Zika outbreak, but viruses have a way of making the globe seem small.

Med school requirements reflect modern medicine

Science & Research, University News

February 17, 2016 0 comments

Many medical schools have removed the requirement for a second semester of organic chemistry and added a semester of biochemistry.