Topic: arts and culture

The documentary “Free Solo” depicts rock climber Alex Honnold as he prepares to summit a 3,000-foot mountain face without any equipment.

Arts & Culture

‘Free Solo’ offers slow-burning thrills

December 7, 2018 0 comments

The nerve-wracking film chronicles the journey of Alex Honnold, a famous U.S. rock climber, as he prepares to “free solo” El Capitan.

The exhibition at RISD’s Student Exhibitions Gallery, titled “In the Mood for Love” after the 2000 film of the same name, features multimedia works from animation to photography.

Arts & Culture

Exhibition explores how Asian identity intersects with life experiences

December 7, 2018 0 comments

“He remembers those vanished years. As though looking through a dusty windowpane, the past is something he could see, but not touch. And everything he sees is blurred and indistinct.”

Christina Yang (left) and Shaun Leonardo (right) discussed Leonardo’s work and recent performance at the Guggenheim Museum.

Arts & Culture

Artist Shaun Leonardo investigates identity in performance-based work

October 4, 2018 0 comments

Multidisciplinary artist Shaun Leonardo and Christina Yang, director of public programs at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York, drew a crowd to the Martinos Auditorium in the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts last night for a conversation about Leonardo’s work and his recent performance at the museum.

Award-winning filmmaker Wong Kar-wai’s “In the Mood for Love” is an atypical Chinese drama-romance. The films stars Tony Leung as Chow Mo-wan and Maggie Cheung as Su Li-zhen, who portray forbidden lovers.

Arts & Culture

‘Foreign Flicks’ series screens romance drama ‘In the Mood for Love’

October 4, 2018 0 comments

Last week, the Center for Language Studies’ “Foreign Flicks” series screened “In the Mood for Love,” an atypical Chinese drama-romance whose brazen, erotic commitment to traditionalism prompts audiences to reconsider the role fidelity plays in modern love.

“¿Se Aculilló? | La sutura tierna” is the third installment of an exhibition series that will appear at both the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts on campus and in the Resident Gallery at AS220 in downtown Providence.

Arts & Culture

Arts & Culture Roundup, Sept. 18

September 17, 2018 0 comments

The next iteration of the storied Point Street Readings series, headed and curated by bibliophile and Providence radio DJ Robin Kall, will take place at the Alchemy bookstore tonight.

“Upon looking more deeply, one sees anguish and frustration” in Díaz’s work, said Steven Bloomfield, associate director of the Watson Institute.

Arts & Culture

Exhibit explores migration, displacement

April 8, 2018 0 comments

A distinctive combination of visual metaphors, color and depth underlies the “Silenced Voices” exhibition, which is currently on display at The Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs.

Arts & Culture

Arts and Culture Roundup, April 4

April 3, 2018 0 comments

Ivy Film Festival 2018 The Ivy Film Festival, one of the nation’s largest student-organized annual film festivals, will launch its 17th installment Monday. The keynote event will take place April 9 in Salomon 101 from 6 to 8 p.m. and will consist of a screening of “#TAKEMEANYWHERE” and an accompanying […]

Shakespeare on the Green’s 2017 rendition of “Macbeth” brings a modern twist to the classic play, setting it during the McCarthy era.

Arts & Culture

Shakespeare on the Green presents ‘Macbeth’

October 12, 2017 0 comments

For their fall play this year, Shakespeare on the Green will present a rendition of Shakespeare’s famous “Macbeth.”

“Topographies of Wonder” highlights beautiful aesthetics, multiculturalism

Arts & Culture

October 12, 2017 0 comments

Watercolorist Keren Kroul’s exhibition “Topographies of Wonder” first made its home at Granoff Center for the Creative Arts last Thursday.

Arts & Culture

Pembroke field to be transformed into dance floor for annual event

October 11, 2017 0 comments

Saturday evening, after parents retire for the night, Pembroke Field will transform into a dance floor.