Topic: arts and culture

Taylor Swift’s seventh album, “Lover,” is far from her last album, “reputation.” Her latest album features 18 tracks on the central theme of multi-dimensional love.

Arts & Culture

Taylor Swift’s new album ‘Lover’ charms fans

September 9, 2019 0 comments

In 2017, Taylor Swift unveiled a darker, angrier side of her personality through her sixth album, “reputation.” The controversial album lived up to its name and challenged the way people perceive Swift — both musically and personally. 

The recent exhibit at the Bell Gallery featured numerous collaged pieces, as well as a three-dimensional video installation, all of which challenged social conventions of gender and environment.

Arts & Culture

‘Fertile Ground’ exhibit challenges gender roles

September 9, 2019 0 comments

“Fertile Ground,” an art exhibit showcasing the complex and layered works of artists María Berrío, Zoë Charlton and Joiri Minaya, opened Aug. 31 at the David Winton Bell Gallery in the List Art Center. The collaborative exhibition was largely orchestrated by Heather Bhandari, guest curator and adjunct lecturer.

Following Sofi Tukker: A journey from College Hill to Coachella

Arts & Culture

April 25, 2019 0 comments

Earlier this month, while students eagerly awaited the arrival of Spring Weekend’s rising stars, Sophie Hawley-Weld ’14 and Tucker Halpern ’14 brightened a different, grander arena: Coachella’s Mojave stage.

Panelists discussed the construction of a telescope on Mauna a Wakea, which holds sacred value to Native Hawaiians. The planned construction, which multiple countries have supported, has sparked controversy.

Arts & Culture

Panel discusses autonomy of Native Hawaiians on sacred land

March 11, 2019 0 comments

Despite its location 5000 miles away from the site, the University held an event Saturday organized by Native American and Indigenous Studies at Brown to discuss controversy over the construction of a telescope on a dormant volcano in Hawaii, which holds sacred value for Native Hawaiians.

Desirae Mix, assistant director of Student and Employee Accessibility Services, submitted “Cult Movie Icons,” depicting characters from The Fifth Element,  Kill Bill: Volume One and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Arts & Culture

‘After Hours’ exhibition showcases University staff artwork

January 31, 2019 0 comments

On the ground floor of the Perry and Marty Granoff Center for the Creative Arts, the sixth annual staff exhibition features an array of mediums including paintings, photographs, woodwork, quilts and sculptures.

The documentary “Free Solo” depicts rock climber Alex Honnold as he prepares to summit a 3,000-foot mountain face without any equipment.

Arts & Culture

‘Free Solo’ offers slow-burning thrills

December 7, 2018 0 comments

The nerve-wracking film chronicles the journey of Alex Honnold, a famous U.S. rock climber, as he prepares to “free solo” El Capitan.

The exhibition at RISD’s Student Exhibitions Gallery, titled “In the Mood for Love” after the 2000 film of the same name, features multimedia works from animation to photography.

Arts & Culture

Exhibition explores how Asian identity intersects with life experiences

December 7, 2018 0 comments

“He remembers those vanished years. As though looking through a dusty windowpane, the past is something he could see, but not touch. And everything he sees is blurred and indistinct.”

Christina Yang (left) and Shaun Leonardo (right) discussed Leonardo’s work and recent performance at the Guggenheim Museum.

Arts & Culture

Artist Shaun Leonardo investigates identity in performance-based work

October 4, 2018 0 comments

Multidisciplinary artist Shaun Leonardo and Christina Yang, director of public programs at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York, drew a crowd to the Martinos Auditorium in the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts last night for a conversation about Leonardo’s work and his recent performance at the museum.

Award-winning filmmaker Wong Kar-wai’s “In the Mood for Love” is an atypical Chinese drama-romance. The films stars Tony Leung as Chow Mo-wan and Maggie Cheung as Su Li-zhen, who portray forbidden lovers.

Arts & Culture

‘Foreign Flicks’ series screens romance drama ‘In the Mood for Love’

October 4, 2018 0 comments

Last week, the Center for Language Studies’ “Foreign Flicks” series screened “In the Mood for Love,” an atypical Chinese drama-romance whose brazen, erotic commitment to traditionalism prompts audiences to reconsider the role fidelity plays in modern love.

“¿Se Aculilló? | La sutura tierna” is the third installment of an exhibition series that will appear at both the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts on campus and in the Resident Gallery at AS220 in downtown Providence.

Arts & Culture

Arts & Culture Roundup, Sept. 18

September 17, 2018 0 comments

The next iteration of the storied Point Street Readings series, headed and curated by bibliophile and Providence radio DJ Robin Kall, will take place at the Alchemy bookstore tonight.