Topic: arts and culture

The Ursa Minors, pictured above, were one of ten groups to perform on Thursday night in support of Community MusicWorks. The organization was founded in 1997 by Sebastian Ruth ’97 with funding from the Swearer Center. The “10:10” concert was the first time a student group has held an event to benefit the organization.

Arts & Culture

10:10 concert unites a cappella groups in support of local organization

November 11, 2019 0 comments

Ten a capella groups came together Thursday night in support of local music education organization, Community MusicWorks, for the “10:10” a capella concert held in the Friedman Auditorium of Metcalf Research Building.

In their second studio album of the year, guitarist and lead vocalist Adrienne Lenker underscores themes of physical movement and spirituality.

Arts & Culture, Reviews

Big Thief’s new album invokes earthliness

November 7, 2019 0 comments

On Oct. 11, indie outfit Big Thief released their second studio album of the year, “Two Hands,” which they described as the “earth twin” of their critically acclaimed, celestial album “U.F.O.F.”

Professor Jinying Li (left) spoke with filmmakers Wu Wenguang (right) and Hu Tao (center) and on their work for the Folk Memory Project.

Arts & Culture

Documentaries explore life in rural China

November 7, 2019 0 comments

A light flickers on in the darkness. A young woman’s face is lit up by the searchlight she holds, casting the room in a warm glow. As she moves forward, turning on more lights, a video plays in the background.

In “The Politician,” high schooler Payton Hobart strives to become class president in hopes of getting into Harvard and one day becoming president of the United States.

Arts & Culture, Reviews

Netflix’s ‘The Politician’ glosses over complex, intricate social issues

October 31, 2019 0 comments

Using cynicism splashed with bouts of humor, Ryan Murphy ambitiously takes on a swath of social issues in his newest project, “The Politician,” but this ambition ultimately leads to the show’s downfall.

“The Art of Embedded Histories” seeks to present Haiti in its own terms with complex and mixed media pieces split into two sections.

Arts & Culture

‘The Art of Embedded Histories’ seeks to redefine Haiti

October 31, 2019 0 comments

When walking through the Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice and the Cohen Gallery in the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts, students will notice a new collection of vibrant and communicative works.

Feinsod, a professor of comparative literature at Northwestern, spoke on how poetry can give voice to common crises of our time.

Arts & Culture

Lecture honors late professor, poet

October 31, 2019 0 comments

Each year since the unexpected passing of C.D. Wright in 2016, the late professor of literary arts has been honored through a lecture in her name.

In a sharp turn toward the gospel genre, Kanye West embarks on an exploration of spiritual humility in his ninth studio album, eliciting a divided reaction from fans and critics alike.

Arts & Culture, Reviews

Kanye West turns to Christianity in ‘Jesus is King’ album

October 31, 2019 0 comments

On Oct. 25, fans all around the world breathed a collective sigh of relief when Kanye West finally dropped his album “Jesus is King,” more than a year after its original release date.

“Modern Love” attempts to focus on the tribulations and joys of various New Yorkers’ experiences with love in modern-day society. The star-studded cast includes Tina Fey, Anne Hathaway and Dev Patel.

Arts & Culture, Reviews

Comedy-drama series ‘Modern Love’ falls flat

October 28, 2019 0 comments

Based on the popular New York Times weekly column of the same name, “Modern Love” was released Oct. 18 on Amazon Prime Video, boasting the faces of Tina Fey, Anne Hathaway and Dev Patel. The column Modern Love began in 2004 and continues to feature personal sagas of love, empathy and intimacy in all forms.

Fairey rose to fame as a result of his 2008 “HOPE” portrait of President Barack Obama and has continued to engage with social justice issues and political movements.

Arts & Culture

World-famous street artist Shepard Fairey joins RISD board, paints 100th mural

October 28, 2019 0 comments

“Brilliant, original, thorough, quirky and funny.” Rhode Island School of Design Senior Lecturer Tom Roberts read to audience members his evaluation of then-college sophomore Shepard Fairey, who took his “Social Commentary and Propaganda” course in 1991.

MoMA holds roots in Providence

Arts & Culture

MoMA holds roots in Providence

October 25, 2019 0 comments

Ninety years ago, three passionate, enterprising women came together with the idea to create a space devoted exclusively to modern art.