Topic: Brown Arts Initiative

David Bowen’s sculptures combine organic and mechanical materials to mimic natural occurences such as wind movement and plant growth. For example, “5twigs” compares twigs with identical plastic 3-D printed models.

Arts & Culture

Sculpture exhibit blurs lines of nature, technology

September 10, 2018 0 comments

The only thing eerier than Providence’s chilly weather is finding a sculpture that appears to mimic its stormy mood.

Nigerian artist stages political performance

Arts & Culture, News, University News

April 17, 2018 0 comments

Surrounded by confused students, Nigerian artist Jelili Atiku processed across the Main Green yesterday afternoon dressed as a ram with several red-tagged students crawling behind him.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Support student art

April 12, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: I really enjoyed reading Emily Miller’s ’19 April 10 commentary on visual art on campus, “Let students leave their mark on campus art.”

Columns, Opinions

Miller ’19: Let students leave their mark on campus art

April 10, 2018 0 comments

Early on in my Brown career, I ascended the five-story staircase in the List Art Center, and level by level, discovered an ever-changing, floor-to-ceiling mural showcasing Brown’s most creative artists.

Thelma Golden serves as the director and chief curator of the Studio Museum in Harlem. She previously interned at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and held a curatorial position at the Whitney Museum of American Art.

Arts & Culture

Thelma Golden reflects on curatorial experience

February 8, 2018 0 comments

Thelma Golden, director and chief curator of the Studio Museum in Harlem, spoke on her curatorial career in the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts’ Martinos Auditorium Wednesday.

The Orwig Music Building hosted the Brown Arts Initiative event last week. Students had the opportunity to hear from composer Kate Soper.

Arts & Culture

‘Music Now’ Forum presents guest Kate Soper

January 29, 2018 0 comments

Students passionate about composition listened eagerly as performer and composer Kate Soper discussed her experiences in the world of music last Wednesday.

Shirin Neshat provided her audience with a discussion that revolved around her sense of aesthetics and creative use of juxtapositions.

Arts & Culture

Artist Shirin Neshat talks Iran, feminism

November 13, 2017 0 comments

Shirin Neshat spoke at the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts for the second of Brown Arts Initiative’s Warren and Allison Kanders Lecture Series.

Arts & Culture

Artist Nick Cave screens film, lectures on aesthetic choices

October 23, 2017 0 comments

Nick Cave, a contemporary artist known for his wearable sculptures called Soundsuits, was the inaugural speaker for the lecture series.

Poetry, music night explores themes of immigration, queerness

Arts & Culture

October 16, 2017 0 comments

As Assistant Professor of Music Wang Lu’s composition trickles into the 200-seat Martinos auditorium, the space becomes intimate and personal.

Brown Arts Initiative brings Rome Prize recipients to the Granoff Center for an exhibition shown only twice before at the American Academy in Italy and the Yellow Barn Festival in Vermont.

Arts & Culture

‘Lumen’ gallery to provide new meditative space in Granoff

October 3, 2017 0 comments

Composer Eric Nathan, assistant professor of music in composition-theory, and landscape architect Loretta Gargan stand in a nearly empty room.