Topic: Brown Arts Initiative

Feinsod, a professor of comparative literature at Northwestern, spoke on how poetry can give voice to common crises of our time.

Arts & Culture

Lecture honors late professor, poet

October 31, 2019 0 comments

Each year since the unexpected passing of C.D. Wright in 2016, the late professor of literary arts has been honored through a lecture in her name.

ICERM panel highlights intersection of mathematics, art

Arts & Culture

October 10, 2019 0 comments

Researchers and artists from around the country discussed the capacity of images to facilitate mathematical understanding at a panel discussion Monday.

The exhibition is part of the year-long social project “Year of the City,” which combines academic and social perspectives of Providence.

Arts & Culture

Mapping exhibit invites community to reimagine Providence

October 10, 2019 0 comments

Over a hundred hand-drawn maps of Providence adorn the walls of the public gallery in the John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Heritage.

The French concept of “paysagisme” served as the platform for the symposium. “Paysagisme” translates to “landscaping” and encompasses all aspects of land, including art, design, agriculture and ecology.

Arts & Culture

Brown Arts Initiative symposium grounds itself in concepts of land

September 23, 2019 0 comments

On Sept. 19 and 20, students, faculty and other members of the University community gathered at the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts to attend the Brown Arts Initiative’s third annual symposium about humans and land.

Arts and Culture Roundup, Sept. 20

Arts & Culture

Arts and Culture Roundup, Sept. 20

September 20, 2019 0 comments

The Bell Gallery appointed Kate Kraczon as its new curator August 1. She will manage the educational programs out of the gallery and will oversee “conceptualization and implementation” of the rotating exhibits, according to the Brown Arts Initiative press release.

Dressed in drag, performance artist Taylor Mac gave an artist-in-residence lecture at the Granoff Center Thursday.

Arts & Culture

Taylor Mac pushes back on theater conventions

September 13, 2019 0 comments

Before Taylor Mac’s artist-in-residence lecture began at the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts Thursday, photos from the artist’s storied career in theater flashed on a large screen above the podium.

The Granoff Center for the Creative Arts hosted media performances on humans’ relationships with the ocean, featuring student dancers. A collaboration between the Brown Arts Initiative, Rhode Island School of Design and the University of California of Irvine, made the show possible.

Arts & Culture

‘Your Ocean, My Ocean’ explores environmentalism

April 4, 2019 0 comments

Combining dance, music, media and visual art, performances of “Your Ocean, My Ocean” on April 1 and 2 asked audience members to reflect on humans’ relationship with the ocean. 

Brown Arts Initiative sponsored the most recent installment in the Songwriting Series, which featured performances by workshop attendees as well as a concert by Dar Williams after the masterclass.

Arts & Culture

Williams leads songwriting masterclass

March 14, 2019 0 comments

With acoustic and electric guitars strapped to their backs, songwriters hailing from the Brown and Providence communities filed into the Perry and Marty Granoff Center for the Performing Arts Wednesday afternoon.

Desirae Mix, assistant director of Student and Employee Accessibility Services, submitted “Cult Movie Icons,” depicting characters from The Fifth Element,  Kill Bill: Volume One and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Arts & Culture

‘After Hours’ exhibition showcases University staff artwork

January 31, 2019 0 comments

On the ground floor of the Perry and Marty Granoff Center for the Creative Arts, the sixth annual staff exhibition features an array of mediums including paintings, photographs, woodwork, quilts and sculptures.

Edgar Arceneaux wrote the play with inspiration from the controversy surrounding Ben Vereen’s 1981 homage to Bert Williams.

Arts & Culture

‘Until, Until, Until…’ re-enacts 1981 performance

December 4, 2018 1 comment

“Until, Until, Until…” a performance directed, written and produced by Los Angeles-based artist Edgar Arceneaux was staged in Studio 1 at the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights last week.