Topic: Brown Arts Initiative

Dressed in drag, performance artist Taylor Mac gave an artist-in-residence lecture at the Granoff Center Thursday.

Arts & Culture

Taylor Mac pushes back on theater conventions

September 13, 2019 0 comments

Before Taylor Mac’s artist-in-residence lecture began at the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts Thursday, photos from the artist’s storied career in theater flashed on a large screen above the podium.

The Granoff Center for the Creative Arts hosted media performances on humans’ relationships with the ocean, featuring student dancers. A collaboration between the Brown Arts Initiative, Rhode Island School of Design and the University of California of Irvine, made the show possible.

Arts & Culture

‘Your Ocean, My Ocean’ explores environmentalism

April 4, 2019 0 comments

Combining dance, music, media and visual art, performances of “Your Ocean, My Ocean” on April 1 and 2 asked audience members to reflect on humans’ relationship with the ocean. 

Brown Arts Initiative sponsored the most recent installment in the Songwriting Series, which featured performances by workshop attendees as well as a concert by Dar Williams after the masterclass.

Arts & Culture

Williams leads songwriting masterclass

March 14, 2019 0 comments

With acoustic and electric guitars strapped to their backs, songwriters hailing from the Brown and Providence communities filed into the Perry and Marty Granoff Center for the Performing Arts Wednesday afternoon.

Desirae Mix, assistant director of Student and Employee Accessibility Services, submitted “Cult Movie Icons,” depicting characters from The Fifth Element,  Kill Bill: Volume One and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Arts & Culture

‘After Hours’ exhibition showcases University staff artwork

January 31, 2019 0 comments

On the ground floor of the Perry and Marty Granoff Center for the Creative Arts, the sixth annual staff exhibition features an array of mediums including paintings, photographs, woodwork, quilts and sculptures.

Edgar Arceneaux wrote the play with inspiration from the controversy surrounding Ben Vereen’s 1981 homage to Bert Williams.

Arts & Culture

‘Until, Until, Until…’ re-enacts 1981 performance

December 4, 2018 0 comments

“Until, Until, Until…” a performance directed, written and produced by Los Angeles-based artist Edgar Arceneaux was staged in Studio 1 at the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights last week.

Brooklyn-based artist and feminist Sue Julien’s series spotlights both famous and lesser-known women from nearly every epoch of history. The portraits were drawn with pencils, photographed and digitally manipulated.

Arts & Culture

‘A Woman Was a Woman’ pays tribute to famous, obscure figures

November 8, 2018 0 comments

From Oct. 3 to Dec. 19, the Granoff Center for the Creative Arts is showcasing Brooklyn-based artist and feminist Sue Julien’s portrait series titled “A Woman Was a Woman.”

David Bowen’s sculptures combine organic and mechanical materials to mimic natural occurences such as wind movement and plant growth. For example, “5twigs” compares twigs with identical plastic 3-D printed models.

Arts & Culture

Sculpture exhibit blurs lines of nature, technology

September 10, 2018 0 comments

The only thing eerier than Providence’s chilly weather is finding a sculpture that appears to mimic its stormy mood.

Nigerian artist stages political performance

Arts & Culture, News, University News

April 17, 2018 0 comments

Surrounded by confused students, Nigerian artist Jelili Atiku processed across the Main Green yesterday afternoon dressed as a ram with several red-tagged students crawling behind him.

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter: Support student art

April 12, 2018 0 comments

To the Editor: I really enjoyed reading Emily Miller’s ’19 April 10 commentary on visual art on campus, “Let students leave their mark on campus art.”

Columns, Opinions

Miller ’19: Let students leave their mark on campus art

April 10, 2018 0 comments

Early on in my Brown career, I ascended the five-story staircase in the List Art Center, and level by level, discovered an ever-changing, floor-to-ceiling mural showcasing Brown’s most creative artists.