Topic: Christina Paxson

Fall 2019 Herald poll showcases student perspectives

News, University News

October 8, 2019 1 comment

The poll was conducted over the course of two days from Oct. 2 – 3. The margin of error is 3.1 percent with 95 percent confidence.

Bosis ’19: Economics in college admissions: A force for good (no, really)

Columns, Opinions

April 12, 2019 0 comments

Imagine a speaker at a college campus stepping out on stage, grasping the mic, and saying “Preferential treatment, real or suspected, for students based on wealth or privilege is corrosive to our community.” Everyone applauds. Then they add, “Did I say corrosive? Sorry, I meant ‘the core of.’”

Paxson responds to national admissions scandal

News, University News

April 10, 2019 0 comments

President Christina Paxson P’19 responded to the national admissions cheating scandal yesterday in an email to the University community, acknowledging the scandal “has raised questions about the integrity of the admissions process at selective colleges and universities” and detailing a plan for Brown moving forward.

Editorial: Toward more equitable and inclusive donor-student relations

Editorials, Opinions

March 12, 2019 1 comment

On Feb. 24, the Providence Journal published an article by student journalists exposing exclusive dinners hosted by trustee emeritus and major University donor Marty Granoff P’83 and facilitated by University administrators in the Advancement Office.

Letter: President Paxson should apologize for University involvement in private dinner

Letters to the Editor, Opinions

February 28, 2019 1 comment

I was disheartened to read President Christina Paxson’s P’19 statement regarding the Granoff dinners, which was quoted in The Herald Wednesday.

Op-eds, Opinions

Morley ’13: Rescind Junot Díaz’s Honorary Doctorate

May 18, 2018 1 comment

Díaz’s alleged abuse of the power endowed by literary recognition, even if not necessarily criminal, demands response from his enablers, hangers-on and mutual cultural beneficiaries.

Earlier this month, students and government officials gathered to condemn racism in two press conferences arranged by the NAACP.

News, University News

University releases statement regarding racist flyers

February 22, 2018 3 comments

In response to the racist flyers found around the University, concerned undergraduate black students issued a joint statement in bluestockings magazine Feb. 14 expressing concerns about the University’s silence on the matter.

Maiyah Gamble-Rivers, manager of programs and outreach in Brown’s Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice, received an Excellence Award for Citizenship from President Christina Paxson P’19.

News, University News

University recognizes staff members for quality work, years of service

February 20, 2018 0 comments

President Christina Paxson P’19 handed out Brown Employee Appreciation and Recognition awards to staff members Feb. 20.

Sotomayor was confirmed by the Senate with a vote of 68-31 in 2009.

News, University News

Sotomayor to visit College Hill

February 2, 2018 0 comments

Just a year after the class of 2020 read U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s memoir, “My Beloved World,” they and the rest of the student body will have the opportunity to hear Sotomayor tell her story in person.

News, University News

Paxson initiates new climate change task force

April 27, 2017 4 comments

President Christina Paxson P’19 announced plans to create a task force to address environmental concerns in University business and investment practices