Topic: diversity and inclusion

CS department grapples with collaboration policy, diversity

News, Science & Research

April 23, 2019 0 comments

Like many computer science students, Chelsey Serrano ’22 is finishing up a two-part CS intro sequence with help from close friends, who struggle together through late nights and stressful deadlines.

The Graduate Student Council will elect a new Chair of Technology and will fill positions within the Council’s Masters’ Advocacy Committee, Finance Committee and Social and Student Life Committee.

News, University News

GSC discusses vacancies, Medical Student Senate relationship

March 7, 2019 0 comments

In the second meeting of the semester, the Graduate Student Council announced the election for a new Chair of Technology, updated members on the Graduate Student Strategic Initiative and discussed its relationship with the Graduate Student Union and the Medical Student Senate.

The student council will be comprised of individuals nominated from various student groups and identity centers across campus.

News, University News

New Student Equity and Diversity Council announced

October 30, 2018 0 comments

The Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity recently announced its intention to create a new Student Equity and Diversity Council, which will bring student perspectives to the office’s efforts to advance its institutional mission, wrote Shontay Delalue, vice president of OIED, in a community-wide email Oct. 16.

Panel talks importance of trans-centered research

News, Science & Research

October 18, 2018 0 comments

At an event hosted by the School of Public Health Wednesday night, Michelle Forcier, professor of pediatrics and associate dean of medicine at the Alpert Medical School, posed a pertinent question: “How many people in this room experience gender?” Everyone in the room raised their hands.

University releases Diversity, Inclusion Oversight Board memo

News, University News

September 10, 2018 0 comments

On Sept. 8, the Diversity and Inclusion Oversight Board published its annual memo reflecting on the University’s “progress to date and opportunities for continued growth” in realizing goals outlined in the Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan, wrote Shontay Delalue.

Brown, Trinity MFA Program focuses on diversity, equity

News, University News

March 18, 2018 0 comments

The student’s common space for the Brown University/Trinity Repertory Program is vaguely reminiscent of a college dorm, with pale blue lockers lining two parallel hallways and a nondescript and homey eating area in between.

Columns, Opinions

Johnson ’20: We need a more diverse CS faculty

March 15, 2018 1 comment

In late February, the computer science department announced that Seny Kamara will be promoted to Associate Professor with tenure as of July 1, 2018.

National initiative emphasizes socioeconomic diversity

News, University News

February 2, 2018 0 comments

At least 12,500 high-achieving low-income students across the country who could get accepted to top-performing colleges and universities each year don’t apply, said Tania LaViolet, co-leader of the American Talent Initiative.

News, University News

School of Engineering takes measures to hire diverse staff

September 27, 2017 0 comments

Over a year after the Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan mandated the University diversify its faculty the School of Engineering is ramping up its efforts.

University awarded grant to address truth and racial healing

News, University News

September 6, 2017 6 comments

The Association of American Colleges and Universities announced it selected Brown to receive a grant to tackle racial issues and work toward racial healing.