Topic: freedom of speech

Columns, Opinions

Aman ’20: What constitutes acceptable discourse?

April 13, 2018 0 comments

I think most Brown students agree that while everyone is entitled to an opinion, not everyone is entitled to a platform to present those opinions; when we create space for certain people and groups to speak, we implicitly give their ideas some minimum level of legitimacy.

Op-eds, Opinions

Sweeney ’19.5: Why we must respect Jeb Bush’s right to speak

April 10, 2018 0 comments

Jeb Bush should be allowed to speak at Brown. In his Apr. 9 op-ed in The Herald, Mark Liang ’19 offered many good points for why this should be the case.

Op-eds, Opinions

Boury ’20: Advocating for ideological diversity at Brown

March 15, 2018 0 comments

In 2001, newly instated President Ruth Simmons famously responded to controversy surrounding a racist advertisement in The Herald by stating that “it is easy enough to exist in a realm where everyone is like-minded and speaks only of unimportant matters. That’s easy. While comfort may be found in silence, truth cannot dwell there.”

Study finds most hosted speakers lean left politically

News, University News

March 5, 2018 0 comments

A coalition of students, working under a group called SPEAK, published a report last Tuesday that found 94.5 percent of speakers invited to Brown lean left ideologically.

Op-eds, Opinions

August ’19, Rock ’19: Beware the PTP

March 5, 2018 0 comments

In response to recent debate about the Brown Political Theory Project, we feel the need to warn students that the PTP is not a center for “thriving intellectual discourse,” in the words of Daniel Shemano ’19.

Op-eds, Opinions

Shemano ’19: In defense of the Political Theory Project

March 2, 2018 0 comments

Over the past few months, we have seen the narrative that Brown’s PTP is a corrupted right-wing think tank at the mercy of the Koch brothers gain acceptance on campus.

Robert Post, the dean of Yale Law School, spoke as part of the University’s Reaffirming Values event series. Post argued that while free speech is a cornerstone of democracy, it can be limited within a university.

Robert Post talks freedom of expression

November 15, 2016 0 comments

The University hosted Robert Post, dean and professor of law at Yale Law School, as part of its Reaffirming University Values event series Monday.