Topic: Green New Deal

One hundred protesters gathered outside the offices of Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) and Governor Gina Raimondo (D) yesterday, urging them to support the Green New Deal.

Metro, News

Sunrise Movement rallies for Green New Deal

September 10, 2019 0 comments

One hundred protesters spent over five hours at the offices of Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) and Gov. Gina Raimondo (D) Monday, urging the Rhode Island politicians to sign their names in support of a Green New Deal.

During Wednesday’s hearing, Raimondo appealed for increased funding to her 2017 Rhode Island Promise program in order to improve retention and graduation rates in the state.

Metro, News

Governor proposes expanding free college program

April 11, 2019 0 comments

Gov. Gina Raimondo called on senators to increase funding for her free college tuition program during a Joint Finance and Education Senate Committee hearing Wednesday.

Members of Sunrise Rhode Island, politicians and other activists gathered at the State House in support of a Green New Deal for Rhode Island. House Resolution 5665 would support research on economic, social and environmental progress in the state. A matching Senate resolution will be introduced shortly.

Metro, News

State moves to support research on R.I. Green New Deal

March 12, 2019 0 comments

Promises of a Green New Deal at the national level trickled down to the Ocean State Thursday, when politicians and community activists alike gathered in the Rhode Island State House to announce plans to research the possibilities for a state Green New Deal.

Youth from environmental activist group the Sunrise Movement lined the hallways of Sen. Mitch McConnell’s office in Washington, D.C. to protest McConnell’s call to force a vote on the Green New Deal in the Senate.

Metro

Environmental activists stage sit-in on Capitol Hill

February 27, 2019 0 comments

Over 200 young people from Sunrise Movement, including 11 University students, swarmed the hallways outside Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s Capitol Hill office Monday, protesting his plan to bring the Green New Deal to a Senate vote and his acceptance of money from fossil fuel companies.

Sunrise Rhode Island leaders were arrested while engaged in civil protest in Washington D.C. last November and December. Members now advocate for the Green New Deal, which is legislation fighting for a transition to clean energy and protection for communities at risk from climate change.

Metro, News

Student climate activist group grows under national movement

February 6, 2019 0 comments

Dozens of members from the Sunrise Movement’s Rhode Island chapter, most of them University students, civilly protested in Washington D.C. in November and December for progress on climate change policy and the Green New Deal.