Topic: greenhouse gas emissions

Rhode Island falls behind emissions goals, study shows

Metro, News

Rhode Island falls behind emissions goals, study shows

October 3, 2019 0 comments

A new report commissioned by the University and written by the Stockholm Environment Institute shows that Rhode Island’s greenhouse gas emissions are significantly worse than previously thought.

University study investigates northern lake emissions

News, Science & Research

University study investigates northern lake emissions

April 9, 2019 0 comments

While most stories about greenhouse gas emissions focus on those from cars, planes and other forms of human consumption, carbon emissions from natural sources, while often neglected in the news, are also important to climate models.

Galen ’20: Divestment is the only responsible option

Op-eds, Opinions

Galen ’20: Divestment is the only responsible option

March 1, 2019 1 comment

The university recently announced plans  to aim for net-zero carbon emissions by 2040, with a 75 percent reduction below current levels by 2025. Brown’s net-zero goals are a great improvement – but by no means exceptional, given the scope of the ecological crisis facing our planet.

University plans net-zero emissions by 2040

News, University News

University plans net-zero emissions by 2040

February 15, 2019 0 comments

The University plans to reduce its campus greenhouse gas emissions to 75 percent below its 2017-18 levels by 2025 and achieve net-zero emissions by 2040, a Feb. 11 press release stated.

The University has sponsored two renewable energy projects, which should offset 100 percent of electricity use on campus. A solar power facility in North Kingstown should account for 70 percent of the electricity use, and a wind power facility in Texas should offset the other 30 percent.

News, University News

University announces plan to offset all campus electricity use

February 1, 2019 0 comments

The University has launched its sponsorship of two renewable energy projects, which should collectively offset 100 percent of on-campus electricity use. Announced Jan. 17,  the first project will create a solar power facility in North Kingstown, which should offset 70 percent of the campus’s electricity use by…

University on track to meet sustainability goals

News, University News

University on track to meet sustainability goals

September 13, 2018 0 comments

The University is on track to meet its goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions to 42 percent below 2007 levels by 2020, according to Stephen Porder, assistant provost for sustainability and associate professor of ecology and evolutionary biology.