Topic: John Hay Library

A new research tool is allowing students and scholars to easily uncover archived collections by and about women. The Pembroke Center hopes to have 51 percent of the Hay’s special collection be by or about women.

News, University News

Women Collections portal increases access to archives highlighting women

April 12, 2019 0 comments

Resting under layers of dust in attics and basements across the country lie piles of unpublished letters, manuscripts and artifacts preserving significant moments and historical figures.

The Lincoln Collection room’s guest book has a record of all visitors. One of the famous visitors’ signatures is Martin Luther King Jr.’s.

Arts & Culture

Hay Library’s Special Collections offer more than a human skin-bound book

March 21, 2019 0 comments

Home to a manifold of rare books, unique statues and special artifacts, the John Hay Library is the second oldest library on the University’s campus and a popular studying site for students.

Collaborative exhibit reflects on biodiversity in Providence

Arts & Culture

January 28, 2019 0 comments

Artistic and scientific history collide in “Entwined: Botany, Art and the Lost Cat Swamp Habitat,” an exhibit at the John Hay Library that examines biological diversity in Providence.

The John Hay Comic Book Collection includes roughly 60,000 comics viewable by request and is currently expanding its offerings. Six comics will be displayed during Family Weekend.

Arts & Culture

Hay Library invites class of 2021 to explore collections

October 15, 2018 0 comments

The John Hay Library held an open house for sophomores in the Lownes Room this past Friday. The room featured a variety of items drawn from the Hay’s major collections to showcase the manifold subject interests attended to by the library.

Ugly Duckling Presse, which publishes non-commercial literature, celebrated its anniversary with a series of events Saturday.

Arts & Culture

Ugly Duckling Presse harbors unconventional texts

April 10, 2018 0 comments

This Saturday, the literary arts department celebrated the 25th anniversary of Ugly Duckling Presse, a Brooklyn-based nonprofit editorial collective that prides itself on publishing experimental, non-commercial literature, according to head editor and founder Matvei Yankelevich. The all-day programming included a book display in the John Hay Library, a roundtable of […]

Librarian Edward Widmer discovered Nast’s pencil sketches while conducting research at the Hay for his upcoming book on Lincoln.

News, University News

University librarian finds drawings of Lincoln

March 23, 2018 1 comment

Renowned cartoonist Thomas Nast’s first rough sketches of Abraham Lincoln were recently uncovered at the John Hay Library by Edward Widmer, a historian, librarian and the former director of the John Carter Brown library.

John Hay Library curators balance preservation, education

News, University News

February 2, 2017 0 comments

The Anne S.K. Brown Military Collection in the John Hay Library loaned two 16th-century books to the Art Institute of Chicago last week.

Slave shackle display speaks to University history

March 1, 2016 5 comments

The John Hay Library is displaying a pair of slave shackles, on loan from the International Slavery Museum, in a glass case.

Lecture details chocolate’s bittersweet history

Arts & Culture

February 16, 2016 0 comments

“It’s here at Brown where my ideas radically changed, and I found chocolate,” said Kathryn Sampeck Monday night in her lecture “How Chocolate Came to Be.”